4 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks to Nick Komiya at Warrelics for this very important insight to the practice of sharpening and dulling blades for wartime and peace. This went for all blades including bayonetes: http://www.warrelics...granted-675938/

#2 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

translation needed please.

to me it looks like a how to sharpen guide, as all of the blades shown were issued without a edge

Hamfish

#3 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

According to Nick, the images showing the cutting edge horizontal were showing how to sharpen. The images with the edge up are readied for dulling.

So, when you say all the blades were issued without edge, do you mean that every blade made had to be sharpened by the soldier?

The thing that really got Nick's discussion going was the "cring-worthy" requirement to dull the cutting edge of weapons once in a peacetime setting - something I was completely unaware of.

#4 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi Bruce . Only early model machine made blades like type 25, 32s and post yatagan style bayonets
  • Bruce Pennington likes this
Hamfish

#5 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Interesting. An arisaka bayonet I had ages ago had been sharpened at some point, but rather crudely. I know the IJA and the Kwangtung Army had field smiths for sword sharpening and repairs, but I'm sure soldiers themselves, like in all armys, would sharpen the bayonets themselves in the field. 

• Bruce Pennington likes this

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq