Translating Sayagaki

Hi All,

A quick question if I may. I need some help in translating some sayagaki.

Translating a mei is one thing but I am daunted by this. The blade is signed Kozuke-no-Kami Yoshikuni, real name is Morishita Magobei. The rest though is a mystery to me. I have attached some photographs that I hope are good enough to work with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

post-2430-0-87831300-1498478088_thumb.jpg

post-2430-0-12987300-1498478116_thumb.jpg

post-2430-0-91085800-1498478134_thumb.jpg

post-2430-0-77096300-1498478150_thumb.jpg

土州住人而摂州大和守吉道門人也 地刃典型矣

Student of Yamato kami Yoshimichi of Settsu, and was a resident of Toshuu (Tosa). Jiba is typical.

then has nagasa, written by Tanobe sensei

• Like 2

Hi Matt, thank you for that. I know that I am being a bit dense but can you break it down for me so that I can understand. Is your translation of all 4 sections or just the first? The right hand section is from a wakizashi, the first 3 from the left are from the katana. You have given me the Japanese characters from the first section. Is it possible to give me the same for the other sections. What does it say the nagasa is? I'm breaking this down in my head so please tell me if I am wrong. Student of Yamato kami Yoshimichi of Settsu, and was a resident of Toshuu = 1st section right side, Jiba is typical =1st section Left side, nagasa = 2nd section, written by Tanobe sensei (with his kao) = 3rd section. 4th right hand section = ?. Would Mr Tanobe sensei write a sayagaki on a blade that is not papered? Lots of questions I know but I am just trying to understand.

Kind regards

Stephen

It is read top down, R) to L). Ill do the katana pics

In the 1st pic

土州住人 (Resident of Tosa)  

而 摂州大和守吉道門人也 (Also a disciple of Settsu Yamato (no) Kami Yoshimichi)

地刃典型矣 (The jiba is typical)

2nd pic

刀長貳尺壹寸五分余有之 Sword length over 2 shaku 1 sun 5 bun 

3rd pic

辰年極月下浣 Year 2000 (stated as zodiac years)  late December (in old form)

田氏道宏識 Written by Ta-shi Michihiro  (Tanobe Michihiro)

Hope that helps

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..