Tsuba From Birmingham Uk

kissakai

I can now let you know that the new version is ready if you wish to purchase a copy

Would anyone let me know if they have bought the first version and I will send the V2 PDF

Can those who have purchased VI (hard copy or eBook) can you email me with your country of origin and the purchase date

I have a list from LuLu with the country and date of purchase which I will use as a check list

I will find it easier if you email me

grev.cooke@ntlworld.com

I have checked my hard copy and it looks OK to me

As ever any feedback is appreciated and now I can restart the book of a selection of my own tsuba

With thanks:

I had offers of help with the proofreading but amazingly in a couple of days of the book release I was emailed a proof reading with various corrections. Some so obvious I could kick myself but others I’d have never spotted. From these original corrections it was suggested I use the Japanese way of reading for my layout which was a load of work but so much better.

I really wanted to give you their name but the person wishes to remain anonymous.

Overview

I thought this would appeal to long standing collectors but with this better format it should appeal to a wider group of collectors or even those who are thinking of starting a collection

General points:

The layout is more consist so it just looks better

I felt that a lot of tsuba had interest to both sides so I’ve added extra images. This was at the cost of some Namban tsuba. In the Namban section there were so many almost identical designs so this was a relatively simple cull. How many dragons chasing the Tama jewel do we need?

Most images are around 10% bigger with some much larger

For me the main improvement was the mei section

Consistency  was maintained throughout the book by putting the mei in the ‘Japanese’ order and separating the text to align with the kanji. This I believe will be a big help for the beginner

Some of the corrections:

The gimei Namban tsuba has been deleted

The Kyo Kanegushi description is no longer used

All those I’ve called Gomoku Zogan are now describes as Heianjo zogan.

I’ve used the more accepted name of Nobuie rather than Nobuiye

The original reference number 1930M773 was incorrect and has been renamed to 1930M772

1903M66.6. This ‘Mino’ school tsuba is made of iron so it has been reclassified as Aizu Shoami

The Tomomasa tsuba 1967M1454 is now classed as an unknown school

The corrected Umetada mei for 1930M772 reads:

城州西陣住埋忠重義

Jôshû Nishijin-jû Umetada Shigeyoshi

1930M187 & 1930M188 should be Yokoya Somen

Grev UK

All,

So, I see one (1) copy has sold to Australia.  Since I have a copy it must be me!!  I want to endorse this book to anyone seriously interested in tsuba and I sincerely hope to see a lot more sales to Australia.  For what is in the book it is a cheap and excellent addition to any Nihonto library.  It has already helped me almost equally to a Shinsa!!  More when I have found the right Round Tuit...

Bestests,

BaZZa.

I have received the V2 pdf file from Grev about an hour ago.

I skimmed through it and everything seems fine.

I like it, it is a good reference for a lot of schools and contain not only outstanding pieces but also mid range stuff like the ones most of us can really afford to by.

Thank you Grev.

Luca

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can I ask if any NMB members have recently bought the tsuba book?

I ask as according to my LuLu account the last one was sold on 15 Sept to the USA as a PDF format

I had a fair bit of interest but I advised any potential buyers to wait until the version 2 was ready in mid Sept so I did expect a couple of sales in late September

I know LuLu can be a bit temperamental at times so I wonder if it recording any of my newer sales

As ever any reviews would be helpful and I appreciate the kinds words in earlier messages

Grev UK

• 1 month later...

i do feel very pitty!

Grev did a really phantastic work here!....in fact, he was the first newcommer since many years...+ he did put this project to a much more passion and personal dedication.

the shown resonance is seemingly discouraging!

i really have to ask me!

but well. :dunno: ...?

Christian

• Like 1

Thankyou Christian for your vey kind words

I wasn't so hard to do something that is worth doing

It was the annoyance of (I believe) almost every museum having hidden stock and these tsuba had not been on display for over a 100 years and show their neglect

In the same storage area I have seen over hundred fuchi, kashira and menuki and there is armour and swords too

• 1 month later...

Hi

I will be releasing my second book in the next couple of weeks and when it is ready I will open a new post but for the time being I'll piggy back my original post

In the new book there will be a short section on buying tsuba

I will add some links like the NMB and Greys website for example and the problems with eBay but I could do with some other website examples and don't think twice about submitting your own sites 

As this is a more basic book but I will not list any websites that are only in Japanese

Also as a beginner I don't need the high value sites (I know you always advise buying the best but I've done OK on the sub £1,000 prices although I know I have to start paying more)

With thanks

Grev

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same spacing problem (hence all I could post was 'bump'! that was reported earlier but as you can see it is OK now

My second (and last book) is available on LuLu - link below

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=greville+cooke&type=

You can open the first few pages on their website - I have a problem with the title but the books are OK

A bit more personal still with big colour images throughout. Additional help files etc

Price is £20 for the hard copy and £10 for the downloadable PDF

I hope it is of some worth and I welcome any feedback

Grev

• Like 1

Thanks Johni and Wayne for your kind words as it's always nice to hear such good comments, it makes it all worthwhile

I forgot to add that there are two restored tsuba with before and after images and a short description of the process

One had damage to the lacquer work (part of a fern was chipped) which was repaired by Mike Hickman-Smith

This was a very delicate repair requiring the finest of brushes

The other tsuba had what I can only describe as a build up of scale (it didn't look like fire damage)

This was very thick and strangely coloured

The restoration was undertaken by Ford Hallam and Kevin Adams

The end result is stunning

Grev

I received the draft hard copy yesterday and found two images in the wrong section and a placement error on the cover which is easy to sort out

By having the hard copy I can see how some of the pages can be shown off better so this will also be adjusted

Hopefully it will be completed by the end of the week

I have uploaded the fifty tsuba book after a few amendments

I have the tsuba shapes in the Birmingham book so I removed it from the fifty tsuba book and replaced it with a page of tsuba terminology and supporting images

I expect to have my 'hard' copy in around seven days for a final look but I'm pretty confident all is OK

I will add a post when my copy arrives

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..