Glasses Out

kissakai

Hi

Just playing with my macro lens and focus not dead on yet

One usually requested question is how to tell apart a good/bad tsuba

As a novice I'm happy to spot a bad one

If you have to choose between a Ferrari and a Ford you wouldn't go on a car message board to ask which was the best car

Quality should be relativity easy to see but I do accept for some schools I have to ask the experts

An old saying is a bad tsuba offends your eyes (it actually refers to sword rather than a tsuba)

If you can see a tsuba in hand always use a loupe

So these are a couple of examples

Nice texture

post-2100-0-66224300-1498156279_thumb.jpg

See how much detail the maker has worked into this wave

post-2100-0-96536100-1498156318_thumb.jpg

Not a very good tsuba but again look at the details. You can almost see the maker taking out little nibbles with his chisel

post-2100-0-39129200-1498156428_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice close ups Grev. Unfortunately my sight is not the best in the world but I am not big fan of loupe or magnifying glass. I would often need those to really enjoy the fine details but I've found out that I mostly enjoy what I can see just with my own eyes. It is the same for me with swords I might not see every tiny detail but in overall for me it is much more fun to just see with basic sight and not use "enhancing" tools.

Of course pics like yours are great to see because I would never see the details so clearly with just my eyes alone.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..