Sword And Weaponry Collectors

I work for The History Channel's new show Collector's Cafe and we are looking for sword and weaponry collectors to join us on the show this fall. If anyone is a collector or knows one please shoot me an email. I would love to learn about collections and people's passion behind them. Cburzynski@thinkfactorymedia.com. Thanks!

• Like 2

Oh boy, did you come to the right place, Cate :laughing:
Might want to narrow it down a bit. How serious...what area, what is expected etc. I think we have PLENTY collectors here...many of them collecting various weaponry. Whether they want to participate, I have no idea :)
Will I find the show on History channel here in South Africa anytime soon? Sounds interesting. Good luck!

• Like 1

Just a word of caution. Many TV shows have a tendency to make weapons collectors look like either nut cases or potential killers. I know, it happened to me with a local (thank goodness) TV interview several years ago. After showing several beautiful swords, all the reporter wanted to see was a genuine hara-kiri sword :(   I of course tried to straighten him out, but doubt it did any good.  I hope the History Channel doesn't do that.

Rich

Just a word of caution. Many TV shows have a tendency to make weapons collectors look like either nut cases or potential killers. I know, it happened to me with a local (thank goodness) TV interview several years ago. After showing several beautiful swords, all the reporter wanted to see was a genuine hara-kiri sword :(   I of course tried to straighten him out, but doubt it did any good.  I hope the History Channel doesn't do that.

Rich

Someday, media will understand that we now have firearms and that swords aren't war killing tools anymore. That day, this planet will be a better place   :laughing:

• Like 1

Oh boy, did you come to the right place, Cate :laughing:

Might want to narrow it down a bit. How serious...what area, what is expected etc. I think we have PLENTY collectors here...many of them collecting various weaponry. Whether they want to participate, I have no idea :)

Will I find the show on History channel here in South Africa anytime soon? Sounds interesting. Good luck!

Hi Brian,

We are taping this fall so you will be able to find it on History later this year. We are really interested in finding a collector of Samurai Swords, but are open to other forms of weaponry and swords as well. For us it;s really about the collector and their story and their collection.

Rich

Our show is focused on collectors and the history behind their collectibles. We are interested in why people collect and unique pieces they own. Everyone on the show is passionate about something so it's absolutely never our aim to make collectors look bad....our whole show is about collectors so they fuel the segments. 

• Like 1

Cate, in this board you can find literally hundreds of collectors of various Japanese items, essentially swords but not only. The problem is that not everybody is happy to let know all the world "hey, in my house there is an average 300k U$ of fine art pieces" for safety reasons.

Whish you good luck. The numbers play in your favour, someone would accept but this doesn't mean you'll get the best among us.

EDIT: Would you please pass on this message to the responsibles of your channel ? 

"UFO doesn't exist. There were no ancient supercivilizations with nuclear weapons. Tsoukalos (or whatever is the name) is out of track by lightyears- Stop this waste of time and return to academically sustained arguments."

• Like 1

No offense Carlo, but how can unidentified floating objects (or flying), not exist? The term is terrible, and if I'm completely honest most of the history channel video's are so as well. However should someone chip in I'll gladly watch it.

Cate, in order to find volunteers, you might want to offer 1) anonymity by use of a nickname, etc.,  2) that at the beginning and end of each episode you will insert words to the effect that for safety considerations the collector normally keeps his/her collection elsewhere at a secure location. 3) Use of a neutral venue could be a good option. In fact 4) you could have a check list for the collector to look at in order to establish mutually agreeable conditions under which he or she would be happy to go on camera! :)

• Like 3

My good ol Carlos, mie eyes recorded UFO when i was but a child, mother and i were walking home one night , seeing if we could find one of the first satellites, once spotted we were quite excited, even more so when it took off at light speed 90 degree angle!!! probably a ninja ship!!! 

• Like 1

Tri-state area most commonly means New York, New Jersey, Connecticut.

While there are some serious collectors in the area, the last few years have seen the passing of a few of the ones with true collections that might be willing to share.

Given the post 9/11 restrictions on anything in that area BB gun or stronger, and the difficulty to get understanding legal authority approved paperwork for owning antique sharp artworks in the area [guns are much much much easier], Cate may be very challenged to get access to Juyo grade collections. She'd probably be better off contacting Jeff O. at Bonhams on the East Side - with him being an intermediary and the mutually beneficial relationship they could have.

Even taking my juyo to the NY Metro Club meeting was a challenge. It was a bit much to take a taxi that far, and carrying 600+ year old 4 ft long sword on the subway isn't wise.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..