Nakago Translation Nosyudo Shinken

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with translation of a Nosyudo shinken nakago. Any additional information would be much appreciated. I would like to know how much it could be worth, quality, or anything else you can enlighten me on.

I haven't received it yet, but I should have solid measurements once it arrives.

Here are some pictures and the description I received...

Japanese Nosyudo Kanesada Forged Steel Shinken Katana.

30 1/4" (77cm) Shinken sharpened blade.

For Iaijutsu (Combat Practice) or Tameshigiri (Mat Cutting).

See Pictures For Details.

FEATURES

Tenshyo Style Fuchi-Kashira

Matsu (Pine Tree) Style Menuki

Matsu Sukashi Tsuba

Yujo Habaki

10mm Black Silk Tsuka-ito (Wrap)

30 1/4" (77cm) Shinken Kanesada Blade

post-4130-0-26817100-1498051884_thumb.jpg

post-4130-0-49981100-1498051895_thumb.jpg

post-4130-0-83314500-1498051915_thumb.jpg

post-4130-0-58885200-1498051929_thumb.jpg

post-4130-0-44128200-1498051966_thumb.jpg

post-4130-0-75397900-1498051975_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to seem unwelcoming but:

1. We are interested in traditionally made Japanese swords on here rather than martial arts swords; and

2. we require a name as well as a handle.

As regards your shinken, you have all the information already - the tang reads Noshu Kane Sada saku - made in the province of Mino by Kanesada.

Best,

John

Hi,

I still don't know your name. I wasn't being "passive aggressive" or even aggressive, I did after all provide the information that you requested and some thanks would have been polite.

How about re-posting your thread in the Izakaya as there are a number if Iai practitioners on the forum and you will perhaps get the information you want there.

Hi,

The written word comes off different than spoken word. I am sorry if I interpreted your comment wrong. There are so many forums out there that are "clicky". I thought I might have stumbled into one. My sincerest apologies.

My name is Erick, I am from he Boston area. Thank you for your translation. Hope we can start fresh.

Hi Erick,

No harm done - welcome to the forum and to the weird and wacky world of Nihonto.

Apologies to you - I didn't mean to sound harsh. I just saw your swords on the other thread and I hope that you enjoy them - you've done pretty well for starters IHMO. I certainly did far worse. :)

Kind regards,

John

• Like 1

Erick,

you have already got some information from the seller, maybe he can tell you more about the blade itself and how it is made. The value is what you paid for it; the blade does not seem to hide something above the normal value of a SHINKEN. 

'NOSHUDO' does not tell much; it is probably related to the old province name NOSHÛ for what is nowadays SEKI.

The photos cannot show details we would need to tell you more about the sword. HADA is not discernible (if it is indeed traditionally made), and HAMON is barely visible. The TSUBA is machine made as you would expect.

I wonder how you practice combat with a sharp blade, by the way. In Japan, this is done with BOKKEN - dangerous enough!

Have fun with you sword!   

• Like 1

I haven't received the sword yet. I will get pictures of the hada and post them in the proper section. I actually got it from a pawn shop off of gunbroker (avid gun collector). They offered little information but did offer to except a return of it wasn't true made in Japan.

I don't know how you practice combat with a live blade either... I found that part about his description comical.

It is supposed to be made with tamahagane, but we will see once I get a closer look. I didn't know there was a "practitioner" or izakaya section. I will post better HD pictures once I receive it.

Oh, you are right about the bokken being very dangerous. I have gotten a few lumps over the years from accidental strikes... ouch!

Thanks

Erick

Hi Erick,
Need a few more pics. To be honest, I am a bit dubious about that nakago and especially the nakago jiri. A few things that just give me a bad vibe. Hope I'm wrong. Few little things that just appear off, and the mei is very new.
Let's see when you get it. Welcome, and good luck.

Hi Brian,

Here is a link to Nosyudo website. It's in Japanese of course but there is a picture of their signed nagakos. They look identical to the one I purchased so I have my fingers crossed. I got burnt on. WW2 Gunto before ($350 cheap lesson). I am hoping I didn't get burnt on this one because it was considerably more.

Link to nakago

http://nosyudo.jp/shinken/

I see what you are talking about the nakago jiri does look a little different. The four nakagos on the website all have slightly different jiri though the angle isn't a severe as the one mine possesses.

You have me a little worried now, but I will hold off on being totally defeated until I inspect it and post some hada and hamon pictures. Thanks for the help... fingers crossed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..