Odd Sword, Looking For More Info.

PhoenixDude

This is a very thin blade, I believe it was originally made that way. Its a wakizashi at 52cm long nagasa, with a maximum kasane of about 4-5mm. Its very tired, I don't see any core steel exposure, but it has a lot of ware and the hamon is difficult to see.

Hada is Itame, Hamon is a very shallow suguha hotsure.

post-4053-0-90807800-1497984081_thumb.jpg

post-4053-0-23024500-1497984090_thumb.jpg

Some bold statements above from a few photos.... I like the sword, it could be a late koto katateuchi, slightly suriage and machiokuri. I can't see the mei well enough to try to translate. More photos please?

Look carefully at the boshi - I think the kissaki has been broken.  The koshinogi and fukura of the ha nearly meet!!  And the bohi just about runs into the koshinogi.  Not a good look at all.  Oh, and some Koto had thin kasane and wide mihaba, which this might be.  The RAI KUNITOSHI mei is undoubtedly false, so any restoration potential depends on the integrity of the kissaki and to an extent the lack shintetsu.  Lastly, the blade looks as if it has been "gone over" in a cleanup...

BaZZa.

• Like 5

Thin, yes, but it has a takashinogi, easily seen in the last two pictures and not mentioned before.  I think this changes the dynamic of the blade, because if it was tired due to over-polishing the takashinogi would be diminished IMHO.  Jay, Ken's point above to show us photos of the blade where the machi are centred showing equal portions of the blade and nakago will reveal the extent of polishing over the ages.

BaZZa.

EDIT:  Jay, does it have mitsumume??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..