Nice Iron

Prewar70

James,

Age: 19th c. at best. Attribution makes no sense - the workmanship is crude (hint: look at those hammer marks), the iron seems low quality, dull and with no patina to speak of. A mass product, lacklustre as they get. The good thing is - it is a real tsuba, so if bought cheaply, enjoy it for what it is. 

Apologies for being blunt, no intention to offend. 

• Like 3

Florian, thank you, that is indeed very similar. Marius, no offense, but I don't agree with all your comments. Workmanship doesn't seem crude to me, the hammer marks are intentional. The iron has a nice patina as well. I don't know the age or if it's a mass product or not. The one listed on Grey's site is almost identical, so that might add validity to the mass produced thought. Guessing by the lack of interest its not high quality, but I wasn't thinking it was high quality to start with, but a nicely made utilitarian tsuba.

James, 

Of course the hammer marks are intentional, it is just that they are awkward and betray a lack of skill.

In order to understand what good hammer work is (or good iron for that matter), you might want to look at some of the best iron tsuba. Higo (Shimizu and others), Kaneie, Nobuie and Yamakichibei are probably the best to start, but of  course there are many many more masters and schools which have produced iron masterpieces.

I have posted pictures of six tsuba for you (three sets, each a fake and a genuine piece)

The first set is Higo

The second set is Yamakichibei 

The third is Kaneie

You might want to acquire some books. Sasano's classic book would be a good start and it does cost you an arm and leg:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b556-early-Japanese-sword-guards-sukashi-tsuba-sasano

It is about iron sukashi tsuba but some of the best tsuba ever made are shown and described.

I guarantee that after reading this book, you will look at your tsuba with new eyes. 

post-221-0-35595700-1498026753_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-45172900-1498026760_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-61558800-1498026781_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-85856000-1498026768_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-39916700-1498028923_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-48443600-1498028932_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry to be an awkward so and so  (he he, who am I kidding...?)  but I'd have to disagree with some of your assesment Marius.

The workmanship on this tsuba seems pretty decent to my eyes.  The piercing work is in fact flawless and the waves themselves really elegantly defined. The actual design is perfect which suggests a maker who was well embedded in this particular tradition and wasn't merely making cheap knock offs to feed the demands of fashion.

The subtle rounded 'bumps' on the rim to suggest the bird's back are sensitively done and add a nice touch. Those 'hammer blows' are in my opinion carved and/or made with punches into the ground and are not at all unskilled. Rather I see that aspect as a very concious and considered bit of textural detailing.

I would add that there is a great deal of misunderstanding as to how various iron grounds and textures were/are achieved so making value judgements on improperly understood technique may not be all that reliable ;-) I would suggest that almost all of what is described as hammer work is in fact the result of careful working with a variety of punches.

I do agree, though, that the patina is less than lovely. This is one of those cases where the original 'artist applied' patina has, due to neglect and time, has developed a layer of lumpy/dusty rust that obscures the true finish. But from the look of it the ground is still sound so I would think that this one would restore quite handsomely. It's not a masterpiece but it is an honestly and well consided craft piece that's a decent example of a good and genuine tsuba.

I'd plumb for a late Edo Akasaka type as a label.

• Like 2

It is always good to agree to (slightly) disagree, Ford :laughing:  Thanks for your input, valuable and down to the point, as always.

James will be happy, and I will retreat into the realm of unmnatched beauty of Kaneie, Nobuie etc ;) I can be picky, as in this case I can collect only pictures in books :)

• Like 2

Ford you made my day.  Also a good learning experience.  It's difficult to interpret subtleties that can be easily overlooked, and can tell a person a lot about the skill of the craftsman.  Always learning, thank you.

• Like 1

I've been having to have my 15 year old teach me the basics of photoshop today, to help with images and graphics for my book. So I used this tsuba as an exercise in figuring out how to isolate images.

This is really rough and ready but I hope by doing this the essential design elements and actual artistry of the composition can be more easily understood.

post-164-0-31190600-1498238708_thumb.jpg

and with some 'high lights' to illustrate the essential compostional lines and how they relate and create a sense of flow and rhythm.

post-164-0-96113600-1498238733_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..