Victor Harris

More sad news indeed. Why do we lose such valuable people?

Unlike many of you I only had one occasion to chat with him, last summer, and over the phone. He was immensely helpful, so I asked if maybe we could share a drink together some time. He sounded very busy and slightly reluctant, so I did not press it. Now it will never happen. :(

I met him only once or twice, and I knew his work much more than I knew him.

These last five years have definitely taken many of the well known collectors and writers from late 20th century.

I'd been saddened to read in the JSSUS publication of Alan Harvie's passing.

As well as his work in the British Museum Victor was also an early driving force in the Token Soceity of Greta Britain. By the time I became activily invovled with the Token of GB Victor held the position of President but had stepped back and was less active. Having said that he was always helpful and responded to people who asked for help. My own direct contact with him was in his consultancy role with Christies when again he was always an absolute gentleman and great fun.

I wish I had known him better in the earleir days of the Society. Amongst his many outstanding achievements in the field of sword study which resonate for me are the Swords of the Samurai exhibition in the British Museum in 1990 and his acquisition of a number of excellent pieces for the museum including A shintogo Kunimitsu tanto from the Compton collection.

I agree with Curran we have sadly lost too many of the outstanding figures in this field recently. Regrettably it is inevitable. What we can do is remember them and be grateful for their contribution to a subject we all love.

• Like 3

He was a lovely, helpful, humble and erudite gentleman, whose presentations were always so enjoyed by all ToKen Society members. And the Cutting Edge exhibition he curated was outstanding! He taught kendo, was president of the ToKen Society, helped shape the Japanese collection of the British Museum and his exquisite and sophisticated touch in all things Japanese brought subtle elegance to various endeavours he was involved in. May he rest in peace.

• Like 3

Victor was one of life's great figures, full of knowledge and willing to share it. I have known him for what must be nearly 40 years and been thoroughly beaten by him many a time in the dojo. To Victor every bout was regarded as seriously as participating at Seki ga Hara. The transformation when he took off his glasses and put on his men was like mild-mannered Clark Kent becoming Superman. There are far too many anecdotes about him that sum up his unique view on life that it would be impossible to recount them all,but one involved a helmet with prominent rivets that I had traded with him for a yari. He had travelled to Leeds dojo for a practice, staying overnight in a hotel. I asked his wife the following morning if they had slept well to be told 'No' she replied,' he insisted on wearing the ***** helmet in bed all night' Totally unperturbed Victor merely noted that he wanted to feel the spirit of the samurai who had owned it.

There will never be another Victor

Ian Bottomley

• Like 10

Often the term Gentleman and Scholar is trivialised.

In Victor's case however it was firmly set as in Granite.

I met him a number of times down the years in all three of his many areas of endeavour, as Budoka, Curator and Consultant.

On every occasion he was truly eccentric in the finest sense of the term.

A Gentleman and Scholar indeed.

• Like 2

I will always remember Victor for the glint in his eyes while studying a sword with the same enthusiasm as a beginner. He was a great mentor to many in so many different ways and will be missed enormously. echoing malcolm, a true Gentleman and a scholar.

• Like 1

VICTOR
by

CLIVE

It is with deep regret that I heard the news of the death last Tuesday, 13th June, after a short illness, of the President of Token Society of Great Britain, Victor Harris. The news of this sad event was well managed by his kendo dojo, Nenriki, whose members were essentially, part of his extended family. Victor was well known by many, as a dedicated and expert kendoka and a senior sensei of Nenriki dojo, as well as a founder member of the British Kendo Association.

During the 1970’s Victor studied sword appraisal in Japan under the famous Sato Kanzan, who was instrumental in forming the modern Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai (NBTHK) and Victor’s sword knowledge became immense. His Japanese wife, Kazuko, was a great aid to him. On his return to the UK, he was employed as an Assistant Keeper in the Department of Japanese Antiquities in the British Museum. It was here, in 1990 that he managed to plan and organise, together with Nobuo Ogasawara of Tokyo National Museum, the amazing Swords of the Samurai exhibition at the B M. This organisation was an immense and international task but was carried out to perfection by these two gentlemen and there was even a contribution from our Token Society of GB towards the production of the illustrated catalogue. 

Further, in 2004, the Cutting Edge exhibition was presented at the BM. This was an exhibition of the museum’s collection, where over 100 of the swords had been newly polished and koshirae refurnished in Japan.  Once again, partially sponsored by To-ken Society of GB, this was completely organised by Victor and his friend Nobuo Ogasawara and remains a long term legacy.

It will also be remembered that in 1974, Victor translated Go Rin no Sho (The Book of Five Rings) by Miyamoto Musashi, into English. This book has many pearls of great wisdom that are as relevant in today’s world, and not just to kendo people, as when they were originally written 400 years ago. Victor understood all of this and frequently tried to educate us in the way of the sword. 

The picture above was taken by the Southend Echo on 8th November 2006. During an Essex police knife amnesty, the gentleman in the centre had apparently marched into Southend police station in his Burma veteran’s full regalia,  demanding this sword be given due respect and a good home! Essex police contacted amongst others, Victor and I and organised a reception at Southend police station. Victor, quite rightly felt it inappropriate to receiving it into the BM’s collection, as it was only a Showa-to and so it was given to me on a custodial basis, and of course, I still have it.

Finally, it has been said by important Japanese sword experts that I know in Japan, that Victor’s knowledge and understanding of Japanese culture was the best, outside of Japan, in the entire world. I knew him from both the kendo and sword collecting, for some 40 years or so and we had many enjoyable meetings. I am sure we will all miss him greatly. RIP

Clive Sinclaire

June 2017

• Like 6

I will always remember Victor for the glint in his eyes while studying a sword with the same enthusiasm as a beginner. He was a great mentor to many in so many different ways and will be missed enormously. echoing malcolm, a true Gentleman and a scholar.

"...the glint in his eyes..."  This really resonates with me.  After 50+ years "with swords" I still feel this as keenly as when I was first smitten.  The glint is with me now as I wait for word that an offer on a sword might be accepted...  RIP Victor.

BaZZa.

EDIT: I wrote the above before Clive's tribute appeared.  The video is something every politician or person who thinks they might want to ban or destroy Japanese swords should be encouraged to watch.  Especially here in Victoria, Australia, "The State We're In!!".

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..