Gunto Blade Needs Help

Kubur

Hi Kubur,

Marcus Sesko's Swordsmiths of Japan lists three makers signing in this way so it may be one of them:

MORITSUNE (盛常), Eishō (永正, 1504-1521), Kaga – “Moritsune” (盛常)
MORITSUNE (盛常), Kyōroku (享禄, 1528-1532), Bungo – “Moritsune” (盛常), “Hōshū-jū Takada Moritsune saku” (豊州住高田盛常作), “Moritsune saku” (盛常作), Taira-Takada school
MORITSUNE (盛常), Eiroku (永禄, 1558-1570), Bungo – “Hōshū Takada-jū Taira Moritsune” (豊州高田住平盛常), “Taira Moritsune” (平盛常), Taira-Takada school, itame mixed with masame and shirake, gunome-midare in ko-nie-deki with a compact nioiguchi.

That said, my initial feeling was that the blade was later than this but if you want to post some better pictures of the blade itself including any activity in the edge and tip then you might get some better views than mine.

Best,

John

Hi Kubur, I had a quick look for you the only smith I could find that had a Signature like this was in Hawley's MOR1000 Moritsune  Taira Moritsune  Bungo 1504-1559   Think this may be your man ? can you post pics of the sword is the Hamon Gonome-midare ?                                  .              

Nihonto club has a reference  

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/MOR1000

Thanks John, I think the  Bungo Moritsune or Kaga Moritsune (盛常) is looking good  but not much on them?

Dear Matt, Dear John, Dear Jim,

Thank you very much
Japanese swords are not my field.
I can just say that the blade is in poor condition, rust and the tip was cut and resized.
Overall it is still a nice blade to me.

all the best

kubur

post-4128-0-42902000-1497817754_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..