Need Help With Tsuba Mei

nektoalex

Alexsandr, when you say "please sign" do you mean please translate?
And if so...please let us know how many of these you will be posting, as it seems to be an exercise without an end?
You started out with some nice tsuba, but some of those are not in the same league.

Alexsandr, when you say "please sign" do you mean please translate?

And if so...please let us know how many of these you will be posting, as it seems to be an exercise without an end?

You started out with some nice tsuba, but some of those are not in the same league.

Greetings!

Request to dear Brian - tell me which of tsub you meant when you said "You started out with some nice tsuba, but some of those are not in the same league." and what is it manifested?

Yours faithfully,

Alexander.

Dear Alexander.

Do I understand you correctly, you would like to know which of the tsuba you have posted are the better ones and why?

If so then I have already expressed my opinion regarding the Sadatsune.  For me it is a lovely composition, well executed and in good condition.  Your first tsuba which everyone labelled as Nara is pleasant but not remarkable and has some condition issues to my eye.  The other brass tsuba is better and aside from some thinning of the patina on one or two of the inlays looks good.  My guess is that it is a late piece.  

The one you use as your avatar, the Shishi in iron is an oddity, you see evidence that it is unfinished which I can't see, however the quality is not so good I think.  The iron tsuba with the eroded wood ground and the cobweb is pleasant but not outstanding and has had a hard life.  The Mitsusada with the horses is in poor condition as is the Choshu.  Compare both with the Sadatsune and the iron pine tree, which I also like.  The other two brass tsuba are pleasant but not outstanding in terms of design, compared to your second tsuba.

If I have misunderstood your question please forgive me and ignore this post.  

Other far more expert than I will add their thoughts I am sure.

All the best.

• Like 1

Many thanks Geraint !

Your answer in evaluating and perceiving tsub is important to me and more than informative. Aesthetics of tsuba and its comprehension by man is important as nowhere and especially in Japanese culture, being one of the keys to her understanding. I obviously did not understand Brian's post correctly.

Thanks again.

Sorry for my English.

Regards.

Alexsandr.

Alexsandr,
I like the first one a lot, but when I saw the second one, it does not compare with the others in terms of quality and especially condition. 3rd one is quite nice, but average. There's a little bit of everything here...from fair to good.

• Like 1

Brian ,

at first I misunderstood your post and thought that the remark concerns the originality of tsuba. Thanks for the comments. In terms of different categories tsubov agrees with you. Later, I will post photos of other tsuba -when I take pictures.

Regards,

Alexsandr.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..