Paint Removal

I have just taken possession of a rather misused wakizashi , the tsuba has been painted with what looks like black enamel paint. The tsuba does look like it may have a bit of age too it ,going by the paint that is missing. So what are the recommendations to remove the paint rather the using commercial paint stripper as a last option is best . Thanks for any help.

Like Uwe said, a picture will be helpful. I think that a paint heat gun will do the job. Scrape the paint of with a small wooden stick. This way you will make no scratches to the metal. Take your time and don't overheat the Tsuba.

• Like 1

Very sorry not putting name , new at this forum posting , hopefully i dont mess this up.

i have managed to remove the many layers of paint . i was told to use a hairdrier to get paint soft and wooden tooth picks to lift the paint. this worked a dream with no damage to the tsuba (slow work ).

To my surprise there was a design under the paint which i could not see. There looks like it may have had gilt in the past, as small speck on top of design (did check paint specks none came off with paint).

Forgive me i dont know how to put photos here .Thank you all for your comments.

Cliff Hughes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..