Photo Essay Showing The Making Of A Sekibun Style Tiger Tsuba

Ford Hallam

This is a link to the Ironbrush forum where I've posted a 75 image photo essay that details the stages in making a Sekibun inspired tiger tsuba.

We don't know for sure how pieces like this were actually made in the past but perhaps these images will at least provide some idea of quite how labourious and exacting creating even an seemingly simplistic tsuba really is.

This is the original in copper.

post-164-0-31362900-1497432297_thumb.jpg

and the version I created in old wrought iron.

post-164-0-76181800-1497432361_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great photo essay,I felt as if I was peeking over your shoulder as you worked! You have lifted your tiger off a sheet of paper, animated him (his hair seems to bristle in the wind) and framed him in a real environment. Each is different,both wonderful.

-StevenK

Ford,

Would you please go back in time a little and get un-famous...so that I can buy a nice piece from you that I can afford, like I was too stupid to do back when we were still having sushi in Capetown and pre forums :laughing:

• Like 1

Great that the tiger was in that piece of iron and that you were kind enough to cut away the excess and to free him from that prison. Great work Ford! I do appreciate the efforts you make in both doing fine work and sharing that work and your process with others. I'm lucky enough to have three of your pieces. I keep them out so that I can enjoy seeing them. 

• Like 3

Ford, I would have PM'd this, but, I thought others would be interested as well. What is the best way to install Sekigane, particularly on soft metal Tsuba that can not be scratched or hammered on much? I have one that needs to be done and if I can do it competently would prefer not sending it out of country. Thanks, John

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the images and the result, Gents :-)

Not THAT famous , Brian. I'll still have sushi with you. ;-)

John, this is for copper seki-gane in iron but the same principles apply for soft metals. Whether or not you can do it safely comes down to skill though :-)  Obviously there are a few different ways to do this depending on the final appearance you're after. The issue of repatinating the immediate area and seki-gane may also be an issue.

Ken, just for you.

Now THAT is very, very cool, Ford! I assumed that the Widmanstatten lines would be etched after all the work was done, not before. I hope that you'll continue to videotape the details as you work on the tsuba.

Many thanks!  :beer: :beer: :beer:

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..