My New Sword

Heitai68

I´ve purchased this sword. The nakago is mumei. It still have a nice polish despite of the rusty stains. The total length of the blade is 31,5 inch. Is it possible to estimate the right period? I presume it could be from the Edo-period. Am I right? How old is the tsuba?

What shall I do with the rusty stains? Would it be worth to make a new polish?

Ed

post-2739-0-22331600-1497378477_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-30876700-1497378521_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-03436000-1497378536_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-39012600-1497378552_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-20817100-1497378566_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-04022700-1497378614_thumb.jpg

1. Is it possible to estimate the right period? I presume it could be from the Edo-period. 2. Am I right? 3. How old is the tsuba?

4. What shall I do with the rusty stains? 5. Would it be worth to make a new polish?

Ed

1. Based upon shape, shallow sori, fairly straight, Edo, a Kabun time frame is as good a 'guess' as any. Not enough detail can be seen in images to confirm, support. 

2. shinsa

3. can't answer

4. keep well oiled. I would first saturate rust with oil, then work the rust areas over with nevr dull, and re-oil.

5. No. 

Franco's right that your blade is likely Shinto era, Kanbun period. Hard to tell much about a plain tsuba, & when you photograph it, the standard is to have the point of the nakago-ana facing upwards. I disagree on using anything to remove rust except: (1) a small piece of antler or ivory to remove the active rust, (2) multiple applications of uchiko, & (3) a light oil. Choji oil is the standard, but any light oil will do. How you go about this is well-covered in earlier NMB posts, & a quick search will find that for you.

The cost of a polish is about $100 per inch, so you need to decide for yourself whether the blade is worth spending that kind of money on. My personal opinion is that your blade doesn't really have any special characteristics that would make it worth that expense, but your mileage may vary. I suggest working fast on getting the rust stopped, & then enjoying your blade for what it is: a significant part of Japanese history.

Ken

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..