And What About This

Misstt

Please remember,I will admit I'm ignorant about Japanese swords. Just bought out a large collection of Military knives, really good stuff, and the guy threw them in. So please if you can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Terri Tracy

post-4121-0-49084000-1497366968_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-98623600-1497367026_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-50824000-1497367061_thumb.jpg

Hi Terri,

As Stephen is hinting, your sword began life as a naginata, a pole arm, and later was altered to make it into a wakizashi, medium length sword.  This is not uncommon and it isn't considered a defect; there are many naginata naoshi wakizashi and some of them are treasures and quite valuable.  Best anyone here can do at appraisal is a guess with clues from your photos, and that isn't much.  It will require in-hand examination by someone with knowledge on the subject to get you a better idea what exactly you have.

Grey

• Like 1

I offered 100$ shes open to offers PM her if you have one

i think we want to see a shot down the blade tip first.

BTW after talking to Terri, i can assure you shes not in the least bit interested in learning more about Nihonto. 

• Like 1

Terri,

like Stephen and Brian mentioned already, it's a real wakizashi. The blade shape is called Naginata naoshi, a type that derived from a pole arm. Sometimes adapted, sometimes intentionally made that way. At least the seppa (washers) are not original to the mounts. Unfortunately most of the mei (signature) are illegible. However, if you didn't payed that much....

Oh, too late.

Thank you all, not sure what to do with it. I'll see if I can get someone to look at it. Who would have the knowledge. I don't mind selling a $150 sword for $100 but there seems to be a lot of knowledge needed to fix a price. There is a remnant of a signature. And yes, I'm not into Japanese swords. Bought this collection for the US pieces and just fell into these. Can't be interested in everything. But I'm curious.

post-4121-0-17169500-1497394730_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-02821300-1497394752_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-78038500-1497395109_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..