What About This One

Misstt

Misstt,

please sign all posts with at least your first name plus an initial. It is a rule here.

Concerning your post: What is your question?

If you want to facilitate us reading the signature, please show the NAKAGO upright. To give a comment on the blade, we would need many good photos of the full (naked) blade and of the details: KISSAKI, HAMON, HADA, HA-MACHI, NAKAGO, a.s.o. 

I'm so sorry, but you're talking Greek to me. As I said, totally ignorant and more than glad to admit it. If you could explain in terms that I could understand, it would be greatly appreciated. Consider me a 1st grader in a Latin class. Here's a few more pics. Terri tracy

post-4121-0-72499300-1497367771_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-41806700-1497367810_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-73006600-1497367841_thumb.jpg

Terri,

you can add your signature to your profile so it will appear automatically in every post.

So you are a first grader in a Latin class, learning Greek. That sounds quite complicated, and it is almost the same with Japanese swords. You have to study many books and learn to see, holding quality swords in good condition in your hand, before you get an idea of what you have. That takes many years, and many collectors study even Japanese to get closer to the sources! 

What is a real sword to you? This one (YOSHISADA) may not be considered a traditional Japanese sword as it was probably made from industrial steel and not entirely by hand, but by machines. 

The signature says that JOICHI ISHIHARA had a smith's name (YOSHISADA) and was registered as one of the Seki province sword smiths for making military swords in 1939.

My suggestion for you is either to get as much information on this topic with books (many of them are not really cheap) and here at the NMB forums (for free). as you can. You may want to keep these swords until you know better what you have - we are all really interested to help.

Of course you could sell the whole stuff, but many potential buyers will be better informed in this field than you, and this is a disadvantage for you. 

Even a way of a thousand miles begins with a first step! 

Thank you so much. Truthfully, I've dealt in military weapons for 35 years but have never really had the opportunity to study Japanese swords. Although I've owned a few over the years, I understand it is an area of study that would take years to learn. I'm afraid I'm too old of a dog to learn new tricks. I had just bought a large collection of Military edgewear, all of which I've had experience with, knowing what they are and their value. There was about a dozen various swords, some I know (like Patton swords) and a few Japanese blades. But my main concern is a don't want to sell one of those Chinese copies as a genuine sword. So real to me is made in Japan WWII and before. None of these swords are mint and I'm sure not worth a lot because of the condition. I really just want to have an idea of what I have. I don't want to sound like a complete idiot (which I am concerning Japanese swords) and would like to be honest about what I sell. Now give me a good Japanese pole Bayonet and I know what I have. Terri Tracy

Hi Terri,

Don't assume that none of your swords are valuable because of condition.  A great sword in rotten condition can be quite valuable if the condition is repairable.  Unlike with other collectibles where original, untouched condition is important, Japanese swords get polished to best show what they have and a well trained polisher can work wonders.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..