Two more old books.

Guest Simon Rowson

Guest Simon Rowson

Hello all,

These are the two latest finds from my local second-hand book shop and I'd be very happy if any of the members could shed some light on what exactly they are.

The first, which I think is by (or about) one of the Honami family, is in a slip case and measures 22cm x 16cm. It is dated 1958 and has a fold-out section at the rear showing (I am guessing) all the major Honami signatures.

The spine of the slipcase (identical to that of the book and easier to scan):

unknownbook1spinefs6.th.jpg

The front cover:

unknownbook1frontcp2.th.jpg

The back cover:

unkownbook1backmf6.th.jpg

A handwritten dedication on the first page (I can make out "sensei" but nothing else):

unknownbook1dedicationzj4.th.jpg

The second, measuring 35cm x 23cm, has been professionally re-bound at some time in the past 30 years but the book itself is dated 1944. It appears to be about important koto blades extant at that time (no - I haven't spotted the Honjo Masamune yet) and comprises of 67 pages of hand drawn oshigata printed on a yellowed, "pulp"-like paper stock (which possibly suggests that this was originally in a magazine format).

The title page:

unknownbook2titlepageao9.th.jpg

Two sample pages of the contents:

unknownbook2samplepageavy9.th.jpg

unknownbook2samplepagebjt1.th.jpg

Over to the kanji and book experts - any insights will be most gratefully received.

Many Thanks,

Simon

PS: I used Imageshack again (it's the only one I've mastered) so please beware of the irritating pop-ups!

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi John,

Sorry - I should have actually said "kao" rather than "signature" in the first place.

(Brain cells not working yet I'm afraid).

I'd be happy to photograph and mail them but, at the moment, I only have access to a very basic scanner and my primary concern is obviously not to damage the books or break their spines.

As a taster, however, here is a (very bad) scan of some of the kao.

unknownbook1honamikaoyn1.th.jpg

All the best,

Simon

Thanks Simon, Yes. some of the books I have can only be photographed. Scanning will cause damage. I have bought a scan pen but have yet to have success. Recently I have tried to photograph sections of the Minoto Taikan and using my OCR program convert the pic to an editable format for translation. It is not as easy for Asian characters and am having a hard time with recognition. A photo is the only safe way for your book. Nice book to have, for sure. John

Hi,

Based on a brief search;

The second book is “Koto Josaku Meikan (å¤åˆ€ä¸Šä½œéŠ˜é‘‘)â€. Its first edition was published in 1941 and its reprints seem to have been published at least in 1943 and 1944. Its original source is the material collected by Hasegawa Chuemon (é•·è°·å·å¿ å³è¡›é–€; reading?) who was a famous appraiser in Keicho era.

Ref.

http://www.nihontou-minosekikaji.com/book/229.html

http://database.museum.kyushu-u.ac.jp/kouzan/touken.pdf

The first book is “Nihonto no Okite to Tokucho (日本刀ã®æŽŸã¨ç‰¹å¾´) by Honami Koson (本阿弥光éœ). It is one of well known books. Its first edition was published in 1955 and its reprint is still available.

FYI: http://www.sanmei.com/shop_e/en-us/dept_24.html

Guest Simon Rowson

Thank you gentlemen

Moriyama-san, I wonder if I could also bother you for your expert opinion on the inscription written in “Nihonto no Okite to Tokucho"?

My wife has taken a look at it but, as I mentioned before, could only spot the title "sensei".

Your help would, once more, be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Simon

I really cannot read sosho. My readings below are only my guess with 30 % confidence.

謹呈 (kintei) - presentation

考盤先生 (Kohan (Koban?) sensei) :?:

鴻水波 (reading?) – an art name of the presenter? :?:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..