The Newest Member Of The Family

Katsujinken

Just picked this up for an excellent price (a steal, really, given the cost of papers). Really happy with it, and planning to mount it on a modern shinken for use in training.

It's papered to Shoami, so the shakudo odawara fukurin is distinctive. I love plum blossoms (the ryokan Shiraume in Kyoto is a special place for me), so this one just immediately jumped out and called to me.

post-3990-0-59948600-1497308585_thumb.jpg

post-3990-0-10319700-1497308597_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It is a mish-mash of styles so Shoami is the grab bag group for such things in my opinion.

And that is exactly what the term Shoami should not stand for, Henry. As Ko Shoami artists did not follow strict rules (like for example Owari artists did by sticking to symmetric designs), they played an important role in the development of later sukashi tsuba designs. Reducing the Shoami school to a mere grab bag group does not do them justice. Otherwise, I see your point concerning the Kacchushi elements, Henry. You may very well be right!

The tsuba in question may be seen as a piece of art that has been created by taking elements of other groups (a mon sukashi technique originally developed by Tosho and Kacchushi artists and the Odawara fukurin element which was i.a. used by Hirata Hikozo but whose origins still lie in the dark) resulting in an individual style on its own. As such, I very much enjoyed looking at it, Michael. However, if the shinsa team really used the term as a grab bag, I find this kantei rather disappointing - they could have as well said "made by someone who made tsuba".

Best,

Chris

• Like 2

That is an interesting point, Dirk. Where did you get that info from? Fukushi Shigeo does not mention a connection between the Odawara Fukurin and Kagamishi tsuba in his Tosogu classroom nor does Itō Mitsuru in his three books. I have also not found any Kagamishi tsuba with a fukurin. It seems like the rim has something to do with a paper manufacturer connected to the name Odawara. But that is a different topic anyway.

With a bit of seppa swapping I was able to mount this on a modern shinken. Fits like a glove!

The shinken is a custom katana made by MAS. It's made with Japanese L6 steel. Their forge is in Korea, I believe. The properties of L6 result in a fairly minimal hamon, and as with most modern blades not made with traditional materials the yokote is cosmetic.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. It feels good in the hand, but I'll know for sure on Tuesday after a bit of tameshigiri.

post-3990-0-12978900-1497891993_thumb.jpg

post-3990-0-68228900-1497892022_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..