New To The Group Gunto 95

Hi, long time history fan taking up a new hobby! Just bought what I think is a shin gunto 95 from an estate auction and it is very cool. I read John Yumoto's book and bought the encyclopedia of Japanese swords and have done a lot of internet research but haven't seen some of the stamps on my sword. Just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can, thanks! Chris from WI

post-4114-0-03401600-1496778463_thumb.jpg

post-4114-0-09811100-1496778501_thumb.jpg

post-4114-0-84430900-1496778561_thumb.jpg

post-4114-0-96413700-1496778607_thumb.jpg

post-4114-0-77059300-1496778644_thumb.jpg

Welcome Chris!

Your sword looks well made, but the stamps don't look right, and there is no inspector stamp by the serial number (if this is a Nagoya blade, their stamp is often faint and hard to see).

Can you give us some shots of the screws that go through the handle and a good view of the end cap of the handle? Also a closeup of the sword tip is helpful.

Ive attached a couple of examples

post-3487-0-49750100-1496781513_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-18669500-1496781589_thumb.png

post-3487-0-06981200-1496781639_thumb.jpg

Welcome Chris,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is an obvious fake that has been artificially aged. There are quite a few signs in your pictures. I've seen a few with that silly flag carving. Chinese or Indian in origin. Some of the givaways are;

No kissaki

Wrong bohi

Poor casting tsuba

Totally off stamps

Incorrect materials

Poor overall quality

Patina is incorrect

Font of serial number incorrect

Wrong number range

No brass scabbard throat

Casting of the handle is poor

Brass was not used in tsuka

Don't be discouraged though! Consider it a learning curve and move on. The 95 is a great sword and perfect starting point for a forray into this diverse and rewarding hobby.

Other than just color, I couldn't say. Aluminum is white/silver, brass is a light copper color.

This one is going to go down as a mystery. Many will call it a Chinese fake, which it may be, but I see too much age, certain aspects look right, the blade looks well made and aged. But the fuchi, the band at the base of the handle is odd and what I can see of the stamps look odd. The hakaki stamps, flags and other symbols, are totally out of line for an NCO Type 95.

Do you feel up to removing the handle? It simply requires unscrewing the two barrel screws and pulling the handle off. If it's rusted, tapping the hand guard with a plastic screwdriver handle or rubber mallet will get it moving. The tangs of fakes are usually made poorly. Mind having a look at it?

Sorry Steve, we were typing at the same time and I didn't see your post until I posted!

Chris, Steve is a true expert on these, so I don't doubt his opinion. Would still clinch it for me to see the tang.

Must have been typing literally as you were! Not an expert by any stretch, that's too much flattery. Just seen a couple of 95s and seen this sword selling from China.

Hi Chris, I saw your post when you originally put it up, but I was being polite and not calling it out for what it is. A poor fake. But now the experts have weighed in, I will agree with SHAMSY. A good guide is that the Japanese put a lot of time into quality, and poor casting quality is not observed in genuine NCO's. Sorry. Neil.

It's a learning curve. It'll take some time but we all started with only the most basic ideas of what we were doing. Some of us were lucky and never got burned, some made a few mistakes before getting a handle on it. It's not a big deal, you probably didn't spend too much and now you have a great example of what to keep an eye out for. Give it time, look at pictures, ask for assistance if you need it. Eventually (and in a shorter time than you might think) you will know exactly what you're looking at. You might even be the one to help out someone new to the hobby. Good luck and remember; like all things worth doing it takes time, practice and patience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..