Need Translation Help Please.

mauser99

This is a sword Im being offered.  Not typically what I look for but I have to take what comes my way.

Im interested in what it says and I assume its single sided ?

It has a very nice Harmon on the blade.  Its in civilian mounting.  Not sure the blade length yet.

Thanks .

post-3413-0-93239400-1496773725_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-85386000-1496773726_thumb.jpg

post-3413-0-82200300-1496773727_thumb.jpg

Thanks.  the sword is complete less the saya covering.  The photos of the saya aren't the best and Im trying to get a blade length.

Not sure the value as I don't collect beyond the showa period.   Saya never looked lacquered ? Its totally wood with the loop for the hanger.  

Hi Wayne, nice find. I also like the Tsuba, deserves some tlc. Going by the pics its good that you can get this blade and take good care of it as the person thats taken the pics could take a little better care imo. All the best.

Greg

.....Not sure (about) the value as I don't collect beyond the showa period.   Saya never looked lacquered ? Its totally wood with the loop for the hanger.  

Wayne,

probably the SAYA is not original to the sword. A wooden SAYA of a KOSHIRAE has always to be treated on the surface to prevent deterioration, warping and splitting. I suggest you read a lot here on NMB about care and maintenance, because this sword is different from the military blades you know. It could be a valuable piece of art (and of some value, if the MEI is genuine) and should be preserved in a suitable way.

Concerning the value: Difficult to say. The owner should set a price, and if you can get it for $ 500.-- then fine (or even excellent). Look at other offers on the market. Comparable swords are sold for $ 1.000.-- up to 2.500.--, depending on condition, length, and genuity.   

Thanks for the help.  If I'm able to get it I will post some better photos.  My guess on the saya was it was replaced to be carried during ww2 ?  Maybe ?  I have seen others that were used during that period. 

Hi,

from Markus book:

MASAHIRO (正広), 7th gen., Bunka (文化, 1804-1818), Hizen – “Hishū Kawachi no Kami Fujiwara Masahiro” (肥州河内守藤原正広), “Kawachi no Daijō Masaniro” (河内大掾正広), real name Hashimoto Dengorō (橋本伝五郎), he adopted later the first name Sadenji (左伝次) but died shortly after the 6th gen., that is to say on the 16th day of the fourth month Bunka eleven (1814)

Wayne,

early blades date from 1.000 years or more before that smith. 

Your blade - if the MEI is authentic - is a SHIN-SHINTO  ('new-new') one, made very probably before the 16th day of the fourth month Bunka eleven (1814).   

Be happy if it is a good one - quality ranks much higher than age. 

Ok, thanks.. No one has come forth and stated whether or not it is a legit signature or not.  Maybe that needs to be decided "in hand" ?

Im new to old blades so really have no idea.  I collect mainly showa period ww2 gunto.

I understand the fact that quality trumps age.    The Mei on my blade differs from the link posted as two characters are absent.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..