High Quality Choji Oil

I've noticed that the no name brand choji oil that I have has no detectable scent of cloves.  As I've come in contact with a few nice examples of well cared for nihonto I've fallen in love with the subtle scent that the real oil gives a blade.

My suspicion of course is that my oil probably isn't "choji oil" at all... it's just "oil".  I've found many places that sell choji oil online at many different prices, and would like to get some high quality oil.  I just worry that I'll make the same mistake again.

So my question to you is: could you recommend your favorite brands of choji oil?

Thanks

-John G

I did an exhaustive study of oil, which you can search with my name here.

Really, any clean, readily available oil is fine.

Fujishiro oil was best, but harder to source. Remoil performed great, and is cheap and easy to find.

• Like 3

Make your own. Go to the drug store/pharmacy and get a bottle of light mineral oil and a tiny bottle of oil of cloves and add a drop to the mineral oil and like magic - you have choji oil.

Rich

• Like 1

hint, oil of clove is used to numb tooth pain

onecs more, "is it safe"?....lol

A bit before your time J, but worth a watch, back when moives had a plot, and women felt free to wear no bra.

wheres the spoiler button?

• Like 1

hint, oil of clove is used to numb tooth pain

onecs more, "is it safe"?....lol

A bit before your time J, but worth a watch, back when moives had a plot, and women felt free to wear no bra.

wheres the spoiler button?

I am an old man (41 years old) so I know Marathon Man! Was trying not to ruin it for everyone!

• Like 1

Hello:

The camellia oil Stephen mentions above is a good product, and if use as it should be, applied lightly and then gone over with a flannel cloth wipe to minimize the coating thickness, you should have no problems.

I can't put my finger on it at the moment but some years ago a study published in the papers of the British Token Society seemed to demonstrate that the chemical print out of the usual choji oil sold to collectors was essentially the same as transmission fluid. Whether that is a good or bad thing is beyond me.

Be very cautious with drugstore oil of cloves as years ago I discovered to my regret that it has a high water content. How much it might be needed to be cut with something else is an empirical issue beyond my wish to find out.

Arnold F.

Weird Stephen, I was thinking about that movie the other day before this topic came up......I have a bottle of choji oil i got from Bob Benson some years ago that I still have a fair amount of. I also bought some mineral oil from the drugstore that i use when i am doing frequent maintenance...it doesn't have a smell but works well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..