Sword "health" And Age - Determination

This is something I had questions about for a while, and very recently got some information on. I thought it very interesting at least to me as a new addition to nihonto appreciation so I figured why not open up a discussion.

Nihonto have survived through time against many odds. What we have left today are little miracles really. At least I think of them that way.

How does one determine the "health" of what remains? I understand exposed shingane and other faults that can hint or declare a swords age or number of polishes. Or thin skin.

My question is without detailed measurements of the swords as they were in original state, how can one judge the current condition?

To me the kasane measurement at both hamachi and kissaki has value, but again, without knowing where the sword started, who can say?

The motohaba width is another that can add some understanding. I remember a Japanese sword polishing video where the modern era polisher said (don't quote me but best I can recall) "what we have left is what has not been removed over time. I try to accent and highlight what remains". That always stuck with me.

Any input is welcomed, this is probably all old material to most here, but searches did not give me much to go on so I started this thread.

One suggestion is to look at the tang. Patina, depth of file marks and mei, the number of holes, their position and whether each is drilled or punched. The change in thickness of the tang to blade all contribute to getting to when the blade was made.

As for the health of the blade, I think that you need to consider the shape and how that compares to the original blade shape - for the jidai of the blade. 

• Like 1

One suggestion is to look at the tang. Patina, depth of file marks and mei, the number of holes, their position and whether each is drilled or punched. The change in thickness of the tang to blade all contribute to getting to when the blade was made.

As for the health of the blade, I think that you need to consider the shape and how that compares to the original blade shape - for the jidai of the blade. 

Barry thanks for commenting, your experience is amazing. Thank you so much for all your help.

Going to show my stupid side, but the nakago can have a thickness difference versus the blade? I only have 2 in hand and from pictures of other swords that would be hard to see, but mine are the same. Can someone show an example of this? 

This is why I love this art, learn new things everyday.

Use a bare blade. Look at the mune side of the blade and the tang. Compare the thickness of the blade's tang to the area above where the habaki sits. That shows how much steel the blade has lost as a result of polish. That alone is not enough as a blade may have sat in a temple for hundreds of years and so have lost little metal. 

• Like 1

I think it will be important to see lots and lots of swords. That way you will easily start to see some common things on healthy blades vs. worn down swords. However I must say that health is not everything, I would personally go for worn down sword with more historical background than a pristine one with less historical importance. It's a fine line to balance on. I have been seeing some amazing items on the last few days, and now I'll repeat the old thing that has been said to me many times. Try to look the best items you can.

Here is one example that has been for sale for many years. I think it was bought for a while but then reappeared with lower price. Being a signed Bizen tachi makes it intetesting but condition is... Here you can see the difference in kasane very well http://www.e-sword.jp/katana/1610-1080.htm

Also you can compare the swords to other existing examples. On some cases it is easy as plenty of similar swords are around, on some nearly impossible as only few are remaining. Darcy has written excellent posts of this subject and now I finally am starting to understand it better.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..