5 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

Just picked this up from Chris (Coloradocowboy). I've already got a good selection of 95s but I've always wanted one with a black saya, plus this is SO early in serial number AND it has the exact same 4 stamps as the example on Ohmura's webpage.

It really needs a new habaki. The original is really beat up, curved sides, and a split. It's also got an odd inset notch that sets against the mune-machi - all resulting in a pretty significant gap before the first seppa. It came with an ungly, hand-made brass spacer (I hesitate to call it a seppa!) that tightened it up, but kept the latch from engaging the saya.

So I'm searching for a good replacement habaki. I've tried a couple of habaki from other 95s I own but they're too small - the mune of the nakago on this baby is slightly thicker! I haven't had a chance to try my late-war 95, I think it's got a thick nakago mune. I'll update when I get a chance (on a work trip for a while).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0340.JPG
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
  • IMG_0337.JPG
  • IMG_0342.JPG
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
  • IMG_0336.JPG

• Stephen likes this

#2 Shamsy

Shamsy

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

The present habaki may not original to the NCO Bruce. Unfortunately I cannot help you with a habaki, since I don't have many bits on hand. Might be hard to find one but I'll keep my eye out for you. I was just reading about this sword on WA. Very nice, now I want one! If wishes were horses.
  • Bruce Pennington likes this
Steve
Always interested in seeing and buying Type 95 NCO swords

#3 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Replacement habaki will be tricky, even on these NCO's there's always a bit of unique fitting. My advice would be to throw a seppa or two under it or hit it with some shim stock.

John

#4 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hi Bruce, the handle looks yellow. Is it copper or aluminium? Neil.

Neil

#5 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hi Bruce, the handle looks yellow. Is it copper or aluminium? Neil.

Yes, sorry, Neil, it's just the lighting. It's your standard aluminum tsuka.

#6 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

Update: I tried the habaki from my Late-war 95 and it fit pretty good. Before I go searching for another like it, I've decided to pack some steel putty in the top edge to see if I can get the original one to fit better. I'll update that tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq