Questions About My Ebay Auction

Hello all,

Looking for a little advice. I have come across 3 tsuba. I am interested in selling them and I have put one of them up on ebay. I see a lot of pieces have certifications. How do I go about getting that done? Is it something I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated

DAB 

Certification/papers are not inexpensive. Expect it to cost about $250 USD. Big name, big price - need papers, no name, small price do not need papers. Some are happy to buy without papers, others feel that they know enough that papers are not necessary. 

• Like 1

Nice tsuba, David, but what would be the point of getting it certified? I've never sent a tsuba to shinsa, & have no idea how much it costs, but Barry indicates around $250 (is that U.S. or Candian, Barry?).

With Nihonto (swords), we do it to confirm the tosho (smith), den (school), & to give us an idea if our hard-earned money has been well-spent, & possible resale value. I guess the same can be said for tosogu, although I've only personally bought ones that I intend to keep, & am not interested in their resale value.

Ken

In short...no.
It is not worth getting tsuba like this papered just to sell them. This is a mid level average tsuba, and you would in no way increase the value of the tsuba by $250 if you papered it.
Only at the highest level where signatures count to verify masterpieces is it possibly a good idea to paper just to sell.
Good luck with the sale.

Brian

• Like 1

DAB-

As NMB Chief Brian said:   No, not worth shinsa time and expense.

It is a Hikone tsuba. Says "Hikone" on the tsuba. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikone,_Shiga

Google Hikone Tsuba images and you will get some similar.

It is not of great value, nor is it a drink coaster.

If you go down to the Tosogu / Kodogu section of this message board and post images of your two remaining tsuba,

people will help you identify them.

It will probably fetch between $200 and $400, so definitely not worth the cost of a $250 shinsa, in my view.  It's a nice tsuba, though and collectible.  Having good photos is important on eBay.  Do put the other ones up on the NMB.  If either of them is a gem, the folks on the board will tell you.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..