Aoi Auction

Did you add the highest price you would willingly go? 

No, i bid only 1 x 1000. so may max was 51 000. 

Someone is willing to go to 100,000, right? :-?

Probably not. I think they bid byself the minimum price. thay want sell for. 

Folks,

THIS IS A FAKE!!!!  I am very sad to report that this is an exact, molded copy of a fine pair of Menuki that I own (and recently purchased).  Mine is definitely the original.  The one on Aoi shows signs of being copied using modern rubber mold techniques. Look carefully, even the tiny flaws on my very detailed pair are on the cast set from Aoi.  For example, look at the tiny dent on the Male's wing feather in the middle.  It is clearly a tiny dent on my set but is a blurry imperfection on the Aoi set (showing, along with many other similar points, that the Aoi set was copied from mine using recent modern techniques).  I did not buy my menuki from Aoi, but I did purchase them from a dealer in Japan.  I'm not accusing Aoi of being involved in the forgery (perhaps they bought it from someone else), but the set they are selling appears to be a modern, fake copy of my menuki.  I'm going to reproduce this in the Tosogu Section so everyone see it.  Be careful out there....

post-852-0-61405200-1496370590_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I would have to agree with George. That degree of similarity is very very unlikely.

But cast copies of gold menuki have been floating around since the 70's and are very hard to detect if done well.

Modern mould making and vacuum casting is very accurate. When I was an apprentice in the trade we were able to reproduce fingerprints in wax, and that was more than 30 years ago :glee:

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..