Large Caliber Tanegashima Identification Please

Hello guys, I have been prowling this site for quite awhile and just joined.  This matchlock came into the show this Saturday covered in grime but still in overall great condition.  It looks to be almost 80 caliber by gauge,,,,a penny fits just about right in bore, has a stamp that a friend idenified as being used between 1871 and 1873,  Also there is a red laquer rack number on bottom of stock.  Used som sword polish cream and the silver dragon and mon just jumped out without disturbing patina of barrel.

Can someone assist in dating this firearm, and is it worth effort to remove it from stock to see if signed?  Only one peg present securing stock to barrel.  The "hammer" doesnt lock back and the trigger moves but cant see how it functions unless it pulls a pin in from inside edge of hammer, releasing it.  There is a hole on the outside that seems to make sense as a safety or where the trigger pin would go through and hold hammer back. All help appreciated!

post-4103-0-88526200-1496017667_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-72696800-1496017691_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-15131600-1496017710_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-78536500-1496017726_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Kunitomo teppo and well worthwhile removing the barrel.  I'm sure it will be signed.  However, one must exercise caution in removing the bbl so as not to damage the stock.  Remove the remaining pin, hold the gun butt down and gently tap the bbl from the muzzle end to release it from the stock.  This could take a lot of time and a lot of GENTLE persuasion, even to using a small rubber or plastic mallet.  Patience is the keyword.

BaZZa.

EDIT - hold both the barrel and sock in an enclosed hand while doing this so the bbl doesn't suddenly release...

Thank you for posting your gun. It is fairly generic, displaying no particular characteristics of gunnery school or region of manufacture, but a good solid gun probably made well before 1850. The date on the (stock/butt/barrel?) will be the general round-up and registration date at the beginning of Meiji, the 'Jinshin Bango'.

The photos are upside down and the pan lid is on back to front, with a too-short hinge pin!

The back of the serpentine should catch on the little 'crab's eye' that pops out of the lock plate upon release of the trigger. It may be a bit sticky, so the serpentine cannot lock back as it should. (Pulling the trigger should cause the eye to retract, so the serpentine can fall.)

When you say a 'penny', you must mean a US cent, but how wide is that in cm for us world-wide brethren? 

Were you able to remove the Bisen breech screw? How does the pan look inside?

• Like 1

Modern US cent = 19.05 mm, so we are looking at what is generally called a '10 Monme' Shizutsu or samurai gun, although more strictly speaking yours is around 12 Monme, a big bore.

The mon looks like Hi-no-Maru Ohgi, 日の丸扇 , in a diamond(?).

PS If you are using a smart phone, go to the photographs and edit them in any little way you like, light, size, contrast etc. Then push 'done'. This will fix the orientation, and stop them swiveling round annoyingly when you post here.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the next time I take it out of the stock I will take plug out if it doesnt give me too much trouble, dont want to damage or gouge anything.  Will swab it out from the bore.  I used bamboo kitchen cooking skewers and cut them to fit and they fit tightly and perfectly to secure barrel to stock.  If they used brass rods I will do that eventually?  My Iphone shows them oriented correctly which is a pain when they load upside down, will try that fix

Yes, smoked bamboo, as for swords, makes the best Mekugi pins, unsmoked next best! Brass was and still is used but for some reason they tend to work themselves loose with usage and get lost. My regular army gun still has one left of the brass mekugi... :8( ....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..