Okina Sanbaso Menuki

Pete Klein

Way back in 2004 when I was first getting serious in the study of tosogu I ran across a pair of menuki on Robert Benson's 'Bushido Japanese Swords' site which threw me for a loop.  They were of the 'Okina - Sanbaso' Noh character theme attributed to (den) Goto Teijo by Goto Mitsutaka (XIII) by original origami:

post-83-0-94245300-1495838270_thumb.jpg

(above picture from the original 'Bushido' post)

I had never seen anything like these but was hooked on sight.  I couldn't afford them and they sold off rather quickly to a Japanese dealer where they again sold within three days of listing.  I always hoped I'd see them again somewhere and lo and behold I ran across them by total accident after just happening to read a post here on NMB for a sword which linked to a Japanese dealer.  I checked out the site and their fittings and there they were.  'Gob Smacked' is the only way of describing my reaction.  So, long story short I was able to procure them and a thirteen year journey came full circle.  (Suffice it to say that in this field patience is mandatory).  Here are some pictures from the dealer's site:

post-83-0-09987100-1495838671_thumb.jpgpost-83-0-16724000-1495838696_thumb.jpgpost-83-0-95461700-1495838728_thumb.jpg

(pictures from:  http://inishie-kb.jp/)

The pictures really do not do them justice but the boxed picture is probably the closest to reality.

I hope these might inspire you on your own journeys!

PS:  I can only speak most highly of the Inishie owner/staff and recommend them as such)

• Like 8

-Positive envy-.

It took me time to develop a full appreciation for mainline goto menuki.

Part of it is the small size, depth, and attention to detail all coming together when you see them in real life. On a table with multiple examples of other menuki, they really pop.

In one of my minimalist fits, I sold a set of ko-goto fishermen menuki to a member here living in the UK.

I'd learned most of what I wanted to from them, but the small simple looking menuki had so much complexity to their workmanship

could have easily made for a 30-45 minute lecture on technique and stage planning as complex as any Caravaggio or Rembrandt chiaoscuro oil painting.

Undoubtedly Peter,

my first Bizen sword came from A..A..., it costed me 1,4 M¥, it was recommended to me by the dealer, Sue Bizen, niji mei Tadamitsu. The blade was suriage, machi okuri and had one tiny fukure...

My first Mino blade was a tachi mei one Kaneyoshi, early Muromachi. Submitted to shinsa, it came back "Horyu"

My second Mino (kanetsune) katana came rusted with an NTHK kanteisho. Had it polished ===> four hagire

LOL

I had a chuckle with Jim Gilbert at the Chicago show last month while reminding him of the ten tsuba I sent him when I was starting out and thanking him for his patience in explaining them to me as the reality was they were absolute junk!  ROFLMAO!!!   We almost all start there but it's where we go from there which makes the difference.  This is why I am always advising people to go to where they can see up close what they want to study as books and images simply do not replace in hand learning.  I know sometimes this can be difficult to impossible but it is always worth the effort.

• Like 1

I agree Pete!!  Books are a great reference and are needed to progress, but you can't beat laying eyes on high quality pieces.  You have to actually see what the books are trying to tell you.  The combination of good reference material along with observing high quality items is the way to progress in this hobby.  With the shows in Chicago, Tampa, Orlando, and San Francisco they are within reach of most everyone in the US.  Do yourself a favor and get to one or more of them and look at some quality blades and tosogu.  It will give you examples of what you have read about.

Wayne -- good to read your thoughts.  I couldn't agree more!

For anyone who is interested in the background to the theme of these menuki here is a link to the Okina/Sanbaso Noh ritual:

This is a very sacred 'play' which is actually the progenitor to Noh.  It is performed at the New Year celebrations and other significant occasions. 

• Like 3

One of the best books in this field is by Fukushi sensei, 'The Art Appreciation of Japanese Sword Fittings' :  http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b632-art-appreciation-Japanese-sword-fittings-fukushi

It gives hundreds of motifs with the origin, history and explanation.  It adds so much to be able to understand what these fittings were saying to their owners as Steven stated above.  Well worth seeking out. 

Steven - I know we both have had such interesting journeys and hope we have many more! 

BTW:  don't get Steve started on Chawan!  LOL  I happen to have a 'thing' for chaire but I have resolved not to go there.  One bad habit is quite enough!

• Like 1

Thanks for this reminder, Pete:  I do need to get a copy of this book.  Don't know why I haven't up to now...

I have had a few twisting, tortured experiences along the way!  But none to top yours here.  thumbs%20up.gif

Alas, I haven't your resolve, Pete:  I have fallen into the Pandora's box of ceramics, too...  Hopeless and helpless I am... :laughing:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..