Orlando Japanese Sword Show

For those of you who are preregistered for a table please send me 2 or 3 items of interest you are bringing for sell or display. We are listing them on the web site. This will generate interest both for the site and for you. Thanks. Bob Elder

Thank you. I owe that idea to Pat Giaccobe. We have lectures by Mike Yamasaki, Markus Sesko and  Bobby Block. Bill Miller is bringing a (scarce) Seki tanegashima. Ken Clark will be displaying an incredible collection of Jutte. He had these at our show a few years ago and I never knew there was such a variety of them. Really cool.

Keith Hostler is bringing 4 top blades from a serious collector in Fla.

Everyone takes cash and some take PayPal. I'll be there with a table promoting my new club and there will be a meeting on Saturday that Markus and Chris Bowen will be speaking at. Should be a good time. Stop by if you get a chance.

Edit to add: If you see something you like and want to have, most will take a portion of a down payment to hold it and let you pay for it another time. Some will even hold it without a down payment, but I wouldn't count on that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swords brought for display; Kamakura tachi "Masa Hiro" with cutting test. Nobu Taka waki, Gimbei Suke Sada with gold inlay, Shinto katana Tomo Tsune. Also first generation Tada HIro. Lectures on Owari swordsmiths and history by Bobby Block. I attended this talk at Chicago and it was really great. Informational with a touch that made it easy to learn. Mike Yamasaki will do 2 lectures, one Friday afternoon and Saturday at 11:00 am . Markus Sessko will also talk about his books. Mark Ceskavich will display and talk about Akasaka tsuba. See www.japaneseswordshow.com/orlando for further details. Thank you. Bob Elder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI Bob

thanks for the post card and the invite to the show ,it has been sometime since my last visit to Florida , maybe some day in the

future I will return to Florida and hopefully we can meet up again .

all the best for the show,

Swords direct from Japan!! Yes

That would Hataya Sensei, proprietor of Touken Hataya, in Machida City. He is 9th Dan Hanshi and acting Kaicho of the Zen Nippon Toyama Ryu Iaido Renmei (全日本戸山流居合道連盟). He is easily one of the most accomplished swordsmen alive today, and he's a tremendously nice person to boot!

As a beginner in the Japanese Sword field I wasn't sure if I was ready for a show like this yet. I called Bob Elder and talked to him about the show and he said come on down you won't regret it. WOW was he right!! I got to the show Friday morning and hooked up with my friend Jim Colorado and met Bob for the first time. I spent three days, open to close, with people that treated me like they had known me for every. I have to say that EVERYONE at the show took me under their wing and took the time to teach me about and show me everything that they had on their tables. I have never been treated this well anywhere. I attended all of the lectures and they were also GREAT! I was able to see and handle some blades that I, and maybe some long time collectors, may never be able to see again. For me and I think all that attended this was a GREAT Show, with GREAT People. If you get a chance to attend this show please do, you won't regret it. Thank you so much Bob, Jim, and all the other people at the show who helped a new guy feel like a old friend. Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and time with me to help me learn and appreciate the Japanese Sword much more than I could have ever expected.... thanks. MikeR

MikeR

• Like 2

Hello:

Thanks for your enthusiastic report Mike. I think you will find your treatment the expectation at all the shows I know of. Shows are absolutely vital to a healthy and prospering collecting community. San Francisco is coming up in August, Minneapolis in November, Tampa in early March and Chicago in April along with a shinsa there. If you can swing it there is a terrific show, the Dai Token Ichi, in Tokyo every fall. The necessary detailed information for all of them can be found on line, often here on the NMB. Good going too for Bob Elder.

Arnold F.

• Like 3

Hey, did anyone not in attendance check out that 6th photo and look up Shinbudo? I don't practice in this manner (there's no school anywhere, or even remotely close, here in south central pennsyltucky), but definitely would given the opportunity. WOW! Those are some amazing bokken! That gentleman has certainly taken the craftsmanship to another level both in asthetics and functionality. Some great work and so beautiful....should be proud of that! If you read this message board sir...great work!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks so much to those who attended the show. It was a great success! The vendors are all friendly and willing to share information. Thanks to the lecturers, Mike Yamasaki, Mark Seskavich, Bobby Block and Markus Sessko. Their talks were really well received . I think when you can gain information (for free) from someone who has studied years and spent millions of dollars to gain their knowledge, it is a tremendous blessing. We had many new people attending who found us online. First time I can recall that happening. The background whispering is for us to host a shinsa, maybe 2019. Thanks especially to Bill Miller and Arnold Frenzel who have been and are pushing for a better show and more excellence! Thanks again sincerely to all involved. Bob Elder

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..