Any Canadians Here Who Know About Buying From Japan?

I found a couple interesting pieces (or rather, Jussi found them for me, swell guy that he is!) but they're on less than gaijin-friendly sites. One has NO English at all... and the only thing i could even guess at was the nagasa length. 

One is on Tokenhataya, and there are two on Token.net (Token sugita?). 

Was basically wondering, after paying the listed price on the page, what i'm looking at in terms of whatever will cost me money (shipping, import/export taxes, Cdn taxes/duty, etc.)? 

How long does it take? Anything i need to know beyond this stuff?

Do they negotiate on prices on these sites?

Anything else would be appreciated too, translations. Notes on smiths, history, anything like ratings if they're there, papers, etc.

Look in the links section...there are at least 2 Japan buying services that will assist.

Curious, which of those 400 links are these services? Has anyone used them? Whats the end cost (above sword cost), all said and done?

In Japan prices are not negotiated. Even at flea markets I have a hard time getting a discount of only a few percentage points. If you need a Japanese address for shipping I will help for a flat fee and will ship deregistered swords very fast. I do this all the time for service members from the 4 nearby bases that want to go home with a sword.

Jim

In Japan prices are not negotiated.

Not true, i have often asked for a lower price and received such. the trick is not to ask for huge discount and accept their lower offer, hence they win and save face. Not uncommon at all.

• Like 5

I agree with Stephen. I've often asked for discounts from Japan sellers, & get them 2/3 of the time. Just be polite.

Ken

At the very least it has to be considered due diligence. 

There is a certain moment where it is not so smart to try to squeeze and reduce the price. For this you need to develop a sense of who you're dealing with and what's being presented to you. If they are giving you a real sweetheart deal and you try to squeeze them it will be very annoying. If it's just a standard retail price and you're aware of this it's not harmful to try to get a small reduction.

Knowing which is which is really a key art to master though.

If you squeeze on sweetheart deals basically, you won't see them again in the future. 

• Like 3

Darcy is , as usual very perceptive of the Japanese mind, when buying from dealers from whom you have bought before you will often get a discount without even asking.

I once overheard an antique dealer commenting that the English  always ask for discounts, although they may have meant our US and Canadian cousin too.

My favourite antique dealer in Kyoto (now retired sadly) would always knock 20-30% off his asking price and then insist on giving me  gifts  which included the Masamune exhibition book and a Tsuba.

I always remembered to bring him a small gift from the UK (he especially liked silk ties and Harrods tea) and I always felt like a long lost friend when visiting his shop.

Simply put in Japan, invest in relationships and you get more than just discounts

• Like 3

In fact, it depends mainly on dealers and how you are perceived by them.

I discussed more than 40 years ago with a French dealer when buying my first gimei wakizashi (I did not even know the word gimei at that time and probably over paid this blade by 20%) about his customers. He told me that his prices were inflated by 30% because of Japanese customers. They were bargaining very hard and never wanted to buy at face value.

I never discuss price, I buy directly if the price is honest (IMO) from my one and only supplier in Japan, he even negotiates for me the prices with other dealers. I am sure I get the best price.

No problem whatsoever with Darcy, I got two exceptional swords at excellent price. He gave me is bottom price and we stroke the deal.

This is all very interesting. In my own circles (automotive) i am a master grinder, and thats what it is sometimes... grinding them down... and i get the best deals. Thing is, thats MY world, i know it very well. With this one its obviously very prudent to ask first. I wont be learning enough about this world quick enough to feel confident bargaining, so it seems to me best just to have someone else, who knows the game to do it. I dont mind paying for expertise... people pay for mine... as long as its fair.

That said, after a couple PM's and doing some more research it would seem its just not going to happen. Sadly, at this point at least... i think i'm going to have to bow out.  By the sound of things, unless a sweet deal pops up in Canada... which so far seems unlikely, as i doubt dealers here would go through all the hassle to bring in really cheap blades... its just going to add up way too much. According to my last fee/import/tax/shipping estimate... i'd need to find a good blade for well under 2K US. I guess i'm waiting again. I assumed there would be a few fees and costs to bring a Japanese sword over, but it seems a bit more than that, and its just not realistic for me. 

Heh... well... its was fun to dream. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..