Anyone Having Problems With Canada Post?

As some of you will know, I've been liquidating quite a bit of my collection. So far, everything I've sent overseas has been received OK, but one parcel sent to Canada arrived at the post facility in Vancouver almost two weeks ago and has had no further update, and the buyer is quite understandably getting a bit concerned. Furthermore, shortly after sending that parcel, I sent the buyer another one and it too has not arrived! There weren't any blades or otherwise questionable items in there so I'm hoping it's not something to do with Customs.

Has anyone else here experienced problems with the Canadian Post service or experienced similarly long delays? There's not much I can do on my end other than offer the buyer a refund and hope that the parcels either make their way back to me or the buyer is ethical enough to re-pay me if they do eventually get delivered.

I've done a bit of searching online and noticed a few other (non-Nihonto) complaints of a similar nature in the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone else here was affected.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=339809&tstart=0

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.canadapost.ca

Since the beginning of 2017 Canada Customs has intensified its examination of packages of certain sizes originating from any Pacifica nation, particularly packages with complicated or unusual packaging/padding.  This in an attempt to intercept fentanyl, which is mainly being delivered through the post.  Of course, this is a time consuming process, creating a backlog..

Many people are reporting extensive delays... in fact I just received a package which was supposed to have been delivered in 14 days.  It took three months. The contents were three antique woodblock print books (1702 edition of the 古今銘盡大全 "Kokon mei-zukushi taizen"  :) )  with no special packaging or padding.

• Like 1

That god damn fentanyl mess is trickling down all over the place. A couple different industries i'm on the periphery of are dealing with a far more aggressive customs than they've ever seen before. Its a pretty recent thing, and a Pacific thing (largely Asia however). Not sure if thats whats holding YOU up, but certainly many other people are feeling it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Randy - I hadn't considered that the country of origin might be an issue since Australia is usually on the "good books" of other Western nations.

No problem.  From discussions I've had with other people, it seems the drug originates in China.  Once the drug runners realized that Customs was intensively screening Chinese postal packages, they started shipping / smuggling the drug to other countries for later mailing to Canada / US.  Thus intense screening has slowly been expanded to cover most of Asia.  That's a lot of packages.

So, even if Australian packages aren't being deliberately held up for scanning, they're likely being caught in the backlog.  Canada Post can't ship packages until they've been cleared, and I've been told CP has warehouses of packages waiting for overwhelmed customs staff to get around to checking them... all while even more packages arrive.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..