Antique Store Find

Patryn

I am new to the forum and attempted to read as much as I could before posting. I think I found a Seki stamped WWII sword on the ground in a Antique store this morning and was wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction?  Pieces were all hanging on a board.

Pictures are attached to the best my phone could do. Thanks, Wes

post-4096-0-47051000-1494894277_thumb.jpg

post-4096-0-19578100-1494894279_thumb.jpg

post-4096-0-69611700-1494894636_thumb.jpg

post-4096-0-61938500-1494894735_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, that's a type 98 with a Seki stamp. That means it is not completely made in the traditional manner. WW2 era for sure due to stamp and fittings (koshira), though can't read kanji so someone else would have to translate if you provide a clear, vertical picture of the nakago (tang). Well done for actually putting in some effort at research before seeking confirmation. I hope though that's not wire wool you've used to scrape the nakago. That's a bit of a no-no.

Looks to be missing the tsuka-ito (handle wrapping) and same (ray skin grip material) along with menuki (hilt ornaments). Otherwise condition seems pretty good!

Not sure there's a lot more to add really... Plenty of research sites on the net or a few good but expensive books on the subject.

• Like 2

Shamsy, thank you for the additional info! No cleaning has been done by me, I believe the store was using a type of lube on the tang but that was it.

I did not thing to the nakago except for oil and wipe with a paper towel for the picture. 

• Like 1

Hi Wes,

This is very distinctly an army saya. The naval saya are almost without exception black in colour with gold coloured fittings. If you Google ‘kai-gunto images’ you can see the difference clearly. There are a good few differences, an extra hanging ring, fitting design etc. The problem is that because of the huge variations in all ‘standard’ patterns I can't really give you a definitive definition of the difference.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..