Tôrokushô Translation Help

Fuuten

Hello everyone,

I made a topic here before, relating to the original registration of my swords. Honestly that topic was great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(this topic: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/17575-t%C3%B4rokush%C3%B4-translation-help/)

Now burrowing through a whole lot of emails i found the registration of the wakizashi which i didn't even think was scanned/photographed. So here's is the second card. Please help me out again, signature and sori i now know where to find but other information such as the place of registration and date are unknown.

Thank you in advance once more,

Axel

post-2850-0-21542800-1494876996_thumb.jpg

PS Presumably you got Bakufu Shi/Samurai Kawai Hisayuki etc.?

Correct:) This is the card of the wakizashi. Thank you Piers.

銃砲刀剣類登録証

Firearms & swords registration card

Registration place & number, Saitama Ken (No. 9724)

Type of sword - wakizashi. Nagasa 1 shaku 8 sun 2 bu ±6 rin

Sori - 3  bu 1 rin. Mekugi ana: 1

Mei: omote - Keio 2nd year, November

Ura - Bakufu-shi Kawai Hisayuki made at age of 81

文化財保護委員会

Cultural properties committee

Issued at Shōwa 29, 5th month 12th day.

Domo Piers :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Interesting history: The sword was tested by Shôdôken Togasaki (尚道軒戸賀崎), i.e. by Togasaki Kumatarô Yoshitake (戸賀崎熊太郎芳武, 1839-1907), who was a swordsman from the Shindô Munen Ryû. His great-grandfather Togasaki KumatarôTeruyoshi had studied with the school founder Fukui and is briefly mentioned at the very top of the Wikipedia page of the ryû:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shind%C5%8D_Munen-ry%C5%AB

• Like 4

Interesting history: The sword was tested by Shôdôken Togasaki (尚道軒戸賀崎), i.e. by Togasaki Kumatarô Yoshitake (戸賀崎熊太郎芳武, 1839-1907), who was a swordsman from the Shindô Munen Ryû. His great-grandfather Togasaki KumatarôTeruyoshi had studied with the school founder Fukui and is briefly mentioned at the very top of the Wikipedia page of the ryû:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shind%C5%8D_Munen-ry%C5%AB

Yes, apparently 'family of'. From what i know now i believe the wakizashi was made for/used by "Shôdôken Togasaki (尚道軒戸賀崎)". And as always thanks for chiming in Markus :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of making a new topic, i would like to add another topic for translation here. I was checking out papers and realized i wasn't really sure of what is described on the paper below. I can assume some parts, like ishime patterned saya, but i would like to know exactly.

Thank you in advance :)

post-2850-0-28132400-1496068937_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-74441000-1496068941_thumb.jpg

Whoever does this for you will have to set aside some time to do it.  Would you need 'translation' of their meanings, or are you happy with a Romanization of the Japanese terms?

The paper on the left for example says:

"Ichi. Katana Koshirae.

Cha Ichime Ji Nuri Dai-Sho Uchigatana Koshirae.

Shoshin"

Percentage of confidence, 98%. (Give or take a kanji)

• Like 1

Alex, in the absence of anyone else taking over, I'll start the longer one. The mechanics of bringing it up on screen each time and then making it disappear for each phrase defeat me, so in the absence of efficiency I will take it slowly!.

No. 5970

Mumei

Sunpo: (length)

Koshirae: Shira Same Cha Ito Hishi Maki Gara, Fuchi Kashira, Shakudo

Takabori Iro-e Nami Ryu no Zu, Menuki Shakudo Yo-bori

Iro-e Tatsutagawa no Zu,

Tsuba, Tetsu San Ji Marugata Ryo Hitsu

(Ki-no-ko)Take no Zu, Mei, Taku-uchi Saku

Kinsei (between Meiji and WWII)

• Like 1

The problem would be easier if you could tell me which bits you do or don't understand.

If I assume you're ok up to line three, and in the absence of any photos, then the Koshirae sword furnishings are described as:

White shark(skin) (which is probably ray) brown string bound in diamond shape,

Fuchi (rim) and Kashira (pommel) Shakudo (black copper) relief carving enamel portrayal of wave(s) and dragon(s),

Menuki shakudo yobori (feature chiseling?) enamel Tatsutagawa River scene

Tsuba iron russet (is sanji supposed to be sabiji?) ground, round shape, both hitsu holes, mushroom(s) scene

Mei (signed) Takuuchi made

• Like 1

I think your description is spot on even without the photo's, my bad for not adding them earlier. I understand some of the terms, but not entire sentences, so tetsu is clear, the entire line and the effect of certain kanji combined isn't.

Thank you once more :thumbsup:

post-2850-0-05388000-1496501743_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-69988500-1496501746_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-50322300-1496501768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They look to be in understated, pristine condition.

NB

Post #9 should be "Cha ishime ji nuri ..." but the edit button has gone. Slip of the key. Apologies. = Brown stone finish lacquer surface.

Post#11 Sunpo overall length is given for both Dai and Sho in centimeters.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..