Help With The Value Of My Katana Please?

shilver3000

Long post, my apologies:

I was gifted a katana made in Japan by a father figure over a decade ago, that he said he had ordered to be made for me. The tsuba is completely plain without decoration. Unfortunately my fiance and I are in a rough situation with our landlady selling the place we're renting with our wedding only a month month and a half away, and rental situations are incredibly limited here. We're basically being forced to buy a house that we don't have money for which means I have to sell my katana. I've done some poking around on the internet to try and figure out the value of it, but am having a difficult ​time. Would it be possible for anyone to provide me with some advice on the potential value of my katana?

Thank you sincerely for your help.

Post pics...we will help where we can. Decent, in focus pics, with and without the fittings on it. Hopefully it is real, Japanese, and can bring you in some funds. Market is not great unfortunately, especially for modern swords. But let's see what you have.

• Like 1

Amanda,
You need to size those pics down. 2 Megs is too big for a small pic. Reduce the resolution.
If you remove the peg from the handle (it is tapered one side) you can slide the handle off, and send a pic or 2 of the bare tang.

Brian

take a small hammer and a chopstick and tap them out. 

two of them is a bit rare for a tsuka, I'm tending to concur with shogun that its Chinese. the hamon that I can see from the previous pictures looks etched, but it could just be the camera. Hamon is very difficult to capture properly with a camera.

I dont think its a Chinese fake. my guess its one of the swords that they sell in shops in Japan for display and to tourist. He bought it for you with good intentions to honor your friendship, No real value, keep it as a memento. 

• Like 3

Thank you very much for the help everyone. I'll admit to being relieved it isn't super valuable as I feel less bad for having to sell it for money, but on the other hand it means trying to figure out what else to sell to make up the gap of needed funds. What would you figure it might reasonably be sold for? Thank you again.

I dont think its a Chinese fake. my guess its one of the swords that they sell in shops in Japan for display and to tourist. ...... 

Sales of this kind of swords with steel blades is prohibited in Japan. There are many hints that this was not made in Japan. 

I get the intention....and it was nice to try and soften the blow. Appreciated it myself.
But yeah, unfortunately this isn't a real sword, and value will be minimal. The sentiment and thoughts attached to the gift are priceless though. Sorry it won't help with the fund raising, but you get to keep the gift and the thoughts attached.
Sometimes we have to tread the fine line between the blunt truth and the disappointment attached, and yet stay true to the our focus too.
It was a thoughtful gift, sorry it couldn't have more monetary value but the value is elsewhere.
Best of luck and congrats on the wedding Amanda.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback and help, in all honesty I would have felt absolutely awful if it had been high value as I don't believe he had been in a situation to reasonably afford it at that time. I'm not currently getting to keep anything, I have a few other weapons from various areas (a zweihander as one) and all of them are being sold for funds. Even if it's only $80,it adds up. Again, thank you all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..