swordsmith help

micko

No idea..there were many, and I don't think you will match up the right one purely with the mei alone. But...

There was a possible that signed nijimei:

Kanenaga

Koto, Mino no kuni (Tenbun)

KAN1685 (15pts) TTp106

large two character signature

Has the nakago been badly cleaned and/or filed?

:dunno:

Brian

Hi Brian the nakago seems fine teh flas lights it up a little the signiture has been rubbed a little but the back is old black no fileing..this is my problem the sheer number of KANENAGA signed smiths and everyone has an opinion which is what i grasp.koto?maybe but i feel more shinto the nakago comes right down to just under half an inch ,maybe be a something that this particular smith did that someone is aware of or may have seen before..

best regards

Micko

Hi Micko, Well it is hard to photograph swords isn't it? Sugata and darkish jigane point to late Muromachi/Momoyama. There is a smith from the Tenbunjidai that signed nijimei with that kanji for 'naga'. He is found within the general Sue-Seki Kaji. Suguba based hamon was produced by Sue-Seki smiths. To really nail down an attribution the boshi should have a long kaeri with a sharp turnback or jizu form and mokume hada with masame hada above the shinogi. I can't tell from the pics but this is my take on it. John

Too right John it's a bit different if the polish is grand a little easier to photograph,thanks for your opinion....i read an article about a Japanese officer boasting of his sword a kanenaga taking over one hundred heads without a chip too his blade during the the china offensivea bit morbid but history none the less......thanks agaian

regards

micko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..