'watanabe' Family Ninja Records Discovered

Bugyotsuji

Japan Today, but the link is broken on my PC, so apologies and here goes:

Ninja's textbooks, pledges passed down at descendant's home

Today  06:10 am JST

OTSU

Textbooks detailing covert techniques used by ninja -- Japan's feudal mercenaries-- and written pledges on their secret missions were passed down for generations at the home of a ninja descendant in western Japan, according to analysis of ancient documents found there.

Experts in Japanese history say the documents discovered in 2000 in Koka, Shiga Prefecture, are valuable because they prove ninjutsu techniques employed by ninja involved in such missions as espionage, sabotage and assassination were handed down to the next generations in the western Japan city.

Koka and Iga in Mie Prefecture, central Japan, are widely known as the home of the two most famous ninja clans. Ninja gradually diminished in Japan's Edo period (1603-1868).

Among around 150 items found in the house of 79-year-old Toshinobu Watanabe, 17 were textbooks on such subjects as how to make poison or conduct night attacks. Of the 17, four were written in the 1670s and 1680s, according to research by the Koka city government since last year.

For example, one of the textbooks on poison instructed ninja to put into wells powder made by burning lizards or tiger beetles that were believed to be poisonous.

Another one on sleeping medicines said enemies would fall asleep when smoke is emitted by burning powder made from insect shells or tobacco.

As for ambushes at night time, ninja were recommended not to approach enemies immediately after attacking them with weapons involving fire since they might become engulfed by the smoke.

The documents kept at the home of the Watanabes also showed ninja acquired various other skills such as gunnery, horse riding and magic.

The 150 sets of documents also included copies of 10 pledges written between 1700 and 1829 and submitted to a local feudal domain.

The papers showed the Koka ninja vowed to join the fighting in the event of an emergency in the domain and not to reveal their status as ninja even to their family members and friends as their contracts were classified. Ancestors of the Watanabes were farmers and they worked on a part-time basis as ninja under cover.

Masayuki Ito, a researcher at the Koka city education board, said a person hailing from Koka managed five ninja families, including the Watanabes, and secretly concluded contracts with the domain.

In peacetime, those "nonregular" ninja paid an annual visit to the Owari Domain in what is now Aichi Prefecture, central Japan, ostensibly for the purpose of gunnery instruction, he said.

Yuji Yamada, a Japanese history professor at Mie University, said the documents found at Watanabe's home are "authentic historical materials" as many of them have been accurately dated and passed down in the family of ninja descendants.

© KYODO

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Japan Today, but the link is broken on my PC, so apologies and here goes:

Ninja's textbooks, pledges passed down at descendant's home

Today  06:10 am JST

OTSU

Textbooks detailing covert techniques used by ninja -- Japan's feudal mercenaries-- and written pledges on their secret missions were passed down for generations at the home of a ninja descendant in western Japan, according to analysis of ancient documents found there.

Experts in Japanese history say the documents discovered in 2000 in Koka, Shiga Prefecture, are valuable because they prove ninjutsu techniques employed by ninja involved in such missions as espionage, sabotage and assassination were handed down to the next generations in the western Japan city.

Koka and Iga in Mie Prefecture, central Japan, are widely known as the home of the two most famous ninja clans. Ninja gradually diminished in Japan's Edo period (1603-1868).

Among around 150 items found in the house of 79-year-old Toshinobu Watanabe, 17 were textbooks on such subjects as how to make poison or conduct night attacks. Of the 17, four were written in the 1670s and 1680s, according to research by the Koka city government since last year.

For example, one of the textbooks on poison instructed ninja to put into wells powder made by burning lizards or tiger beetles that were believed to be poisonous.

Another one on sleeping medicines said enemies would fall asleep when smoke is emitted by burning powder made from insect shells or tobacco.

As for ambushes at night time, ninja were recommended not to approach enemies immediately after attacking them with weapons involving fire since they might become engulfed by the smoke.

The documents kept at the home of the Watanabes also showed ninja acquired various other skills such as gunnery, horse riding and magic.

The 150 sets of documents also included copies of 10 pledges written between 1700 and 1829 and submitted to a local feudal domain.

The papers showed the Koka ninja vowed to join the fighting in the event of an emergency in the domain and not to reveal their status as ninja even to their family members and friends as their contracts were classified. Ancestors of the Watanabes were farmers and they worked on a part-time basis as ninja under cover.

Masayuki Ito, a researcher at the Koka city education board, said a person hailing from Koka managed five ninja families, including the Watanabes, and secretly concluded contracts with the domain.

In peacetime, those "nonregular" ninja paid an annual visit to the Owari Domain in what is now Aichi Prefecture, central Japan, ostensibly for the purpose of gunnery instruction, he said.

Yuji Yamada, a Japanese history professor at Mie University, said the documents found at Watanabe's home are "authentic historical materials" as many of them have been accurately dated and passed down in the family of ninja descendants.

© KYODO

Piers, some "uneducated" people would make fun of this post but to me at least this is very interesting information. Do you have a link or any images to go with this, what a treasure trove of research material. I hope some of it gets out to the public, ninja are a fact, just because some people have exploited the name for profit does not make ninja any less real.

Piers, some "uneducated" people would make fun of this post 

Not until it doesn't mention black pajamas as mandatory for a Shinobi/Ninja.

"ninja are a fact, just because some people have exploited the name for profit does not make ninja any less real."

Italy libraries are filled of medieval witchcraft essay and the fact they were used in real life doesn't make witches less unreal.  

Both were different from the stereotype usually discussed, but this argument is very, very hot.

Italy libraries are filled of medieval witchcraft essay and the fact they were used in real life doesn't make witches less unreal.  

Actually witches are very real, they exist in some form in many cultures....now as the magic spells, curses etc, that is a different story. The same is true about ninja and any supernatural aspects attributed to them. On the other hand, potions that poison, kill, heal, put to sleep etc are very real and the people who know about such things guarded their secrets, being attributed with supernatural powers only helped their reputation among the uneducated etc.

OK this might not be the Ninja thread i was thinking about, but i know their real as i found them on FB today

15241150_10211401734301520_5433876954401

Piers, some "uneducated" people would make fun of this post

"Among around 150 items found in the house of 79-year-old Toshinobu Watanabe, 17 were textbooks on such subjects as how to make poison or conduct night attacks. Of the 17, four were written in the 1670s and 1680s, according to research by the Koka city government since last year.

The 150 sets of documents also included copies of 10 pledges written between 1700 and 1829 and submitted to a local feudal domain."

*edit admin*

it must have been this one Ninja Eric!!!

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22529-ninja-studies/?hl=ninja

Stephen, on "another forum", Piers was basically ridiculed for mentioning this subject. This was by people who should have taken his post seriously. There is no need to make a joke of this subject or the people who try to discuss it in a rational manner. It is unfortunate that so little verifiable info is available about this subject. It is also a subject that interests many young people and I have seen them being ridiculed on various forums for bringing up this subject. No one should be subjected to being laughed at for trying to rationally discuss "ninja", I know this was not your intention but this does tend to keep other people from joining the discussion as they do not want to be the butt of someones joke.

Just my personal opinion.....im just saying.....

Nothing wrong with lightening the mood. It's an interesting topic...doesn't mean we can't have a laugh at it.
I disagree with your analysis that it is ridicule. We all know the jokes about ninja. Having a bit of fun with the subject does NOT take away from the overall education imho..just lets us have some fun at the same time.
Your mileage may differ.

Nothing wrong with lightening the mood. It's an interesting topic...doesn't mean we can't have a laugh at it.

I disagree with your analysis that it is ridicule. We all know the jokes about ninja. Having a bit of fun with the subject does NOT take away from the overall education imho..just lets us have some fun at the same time.

Your mileage may differ.

Here is what happens when one person starts the ball rolling. I guess "ridicule" is in the eye of the beholder.

http://nihon-no-katchu.proboards.com/thread/2323/watanabe-proof-ninja-existence

on "another forum", Piers was basically ridiculed for mentioning this subject. 

He better avoid Samurai Archives with this topic. Eric,why don't you try to mention "uneducated people on ninja" there ?

The focus of the forum is about Samurai class and not weaponry as here so there were a lot of discussions about Shinobi/Ninja...

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/index/

What about the uneducated quote Brian???.

Delete mine but keep his BS...if you knew about all the wantabe ninjas out there youd take it back...crap im pissed

I think everything here should be deleted, mine, Stephens, Carlos except for posts that directly address Piers original post, I stand by my statement though.I think Piers deserves to be treated respectfully as should ANYONE who attempts to address any credible subject allowable under the forum rules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..