Samurai Kitchen Knives

• 2 months later...

Okay, my knife just arrived, & it's a beauty! Taro has really done some excellent work, & wrapped the knife up in a beautiful box, too, although not wood. Nice midare hamon, although it's fairly small, & not easy to photograph.

Here's a photo, although we're heading out for a pizza dinner. so we'll cut with it later:

attachicon.gifIMG_2028.JPG

Ken

I don't want to jump in too decisively, since I'm not familiar with this particular craftsmen, but I am pretty familiar with Japanese cooking knives.  I may be mistaken, but I don't think what you've photographed is a hamon.  The vast majority of traditionally-made Japanese kitchen knives are laminated (originally iron on the outside, but now some people even use stainless materials) with a separate core layer for the cutting edge.  It's referred to as kasumi.  So I think you're seeing the lamination line.

A very limited number of fairly expensive knives are made from a single piece of steel, differentially hardened, and have a hamon.  Those knives are almost always $1k+ (in USD).  Typically these knives are very highly polished (near mirror finish). 

Here's an link to a discussion of the construction techniques, although you could find many others.  http://www.masamotochefknives.com/honyaki-kasumi/

Regardless, it may be a great knife, but I thought I would mention the distinction.  Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..