Token Society Of Ireland Meeting

I would like proudly to announce the next Token Society of Ireland meeting, which will take place on 24th May at Queen's University, Belfast. At our next meeting we will be joined by Ian Chapman [ http://nihonto.uk/ ] who has kindly agreed to give a guest talk on nihonto. 

We serve to connect collectors across the island of Ireland, encompassing both Northern Ireland and the Republic. We welcome everyone, from novices with a keen interest to veteran collectors who wish to impart knowledge and share anecdotes. If interested, please contact us either here, or through our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tokensocietyireland/

For an informative talk on Japanese swords, and discussion in a relaxed environment with like minded please, come along to our next meeting. We look forward to seeing old faces and welcoming new members into our community.

post-2783-0-44691900-1493825760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm actually not from the UK/Ireland, but i think i have the week of your meeting off work, and I'm actually in for a trip (total novice though:). Would this be Belfast City? I got multiple results on flight searching. And any chance of a sort of schedule? I haven't been to any meeting so far, and these dates appear to match up. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your kind words, Ian. Perhaps you would like to give a talk in the future? ;)
Cheers for adding the link, Brian. It's much appreciated!

You would be very welcome, Axel. The meetings usually last from 7 - 9pm, but we sometimes go for food/drinks before/afterwards to a local Japanese restaurant. Ian has not verified the exact topic of his discussion, though it will be advertised on our facebook page in due time. The format of the meetings has thus far been to begin with a presentation and then to open up for discussion. Members usually bring along items to match the theme of the talk, so there will likely be lots of items to look at and discuss with other members. 
If flying to Belfast, I recommend the City airport, which is a short bus ride from the city center, the International airport is about 45 minutes away. The university at which our meeting will be hosted is a 15 minute walk from the city center. The university is also a very nice place to visit and there is a botanical garden right beside it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words, Ian. Perhaps you would like to give a talk in the future? ;)

Cheers for adding the link, Brian. It's much appreciated!

You would be very welcome, Axel. The meetings usually last from 7 - 9pm, but we sometimes go for food/drinks before/afterwards to a local Japanese restaurant. Ian has not verified the exact topic of his discussion, though it will be advertised on our facebook page in due time. The format of the meetings has thus far been to begin with a presentation and then to open up for discussion. Members usually bring along items to match the theme of the talk, so there will likely be lots of items to look at and discuss with other members. 

If flying to Belfast, I recommend the City airport, which is a short bus ride from the city center, the International airport is about 45 minutes away. The university at which our meeting will be hosted is a 15 minute walk from the city center. The university is also a very nice place to visit and there is a botanical garden right beside it.

Thank you very much for your reply. It all seems to click from my side, coincidentally the week off and the month in the Netherlands where so called "vacation" money is given. I'll have to read up on the facebook page (i don't have a facebook so I'm not really utd). Sounds very enticing, and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun (Japanese rest. sounds great), plus a great experience.

I hope it won't be a problem if I'm not a member, otherwise some kind of fee would be no problem. I'm going to look into this.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

This reminds me of the old days when the JSSUS used to provide members with a membership list with names and addresses. I would contact a member in a city that I was going to visit and arrange to meet them and see their collection.  

Then people started to worry about robberies and the list was no longer mailed.  :(

I've very excited to say the least. I just booked a flight for the 23rd till the 26th. I haven't been out of the country in i think more than 5 years. I would be very interested if anyone had any tips (apart from the university garden! thank you), and perhaps anyone who would be willing to perhaps do a show and tell, or just wants to be a guide for half a day:)

Can't wait.

Best regards,

Just a quick question- is this a new organisation? I am struggling to find a website and there seems to be only a Facebook page (I am not on Facebook, so cannot read it).

If new - well done for setting it up and popularising our hobby. Best of luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..