Jauce- Yahoo Japan Swords

Hi All,

I haven't used Yahoo Japan before, though registered on Jauce.com to look at some armour. I noticed that all of the swords come up as Blocked and cannot be shipped internationally.

Is that right or can they be if the auction is unblocked?

cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Last month we luanched a personal bidding service called Samurai Kyobai.

When I say we its because we have a team of collectors working for collectors.

Myself on Armour, Ian Chapman on kodogu and Guy De La Rupelle on Nihonto.

Until our website/CRM is up and running we are using Facebook and email for our clients. To date all reviews have been 5 Star, and if you read them you will see that we really deliver on customer service, guidance and value.

Best is our price, on nihonto its only 7% comission. We have also beaten the other agents export fees.

Also bid on what you want, we have no minimum, and if you need to skype, or video call us you can.

www.facebook.com/samuraikybai

Check out our rates, and services.

Bidding

We will bid on your item in increments. This reduces the chances of bid shilling where the seller is actually bidding against you. Unlike eBay a seller can cancel a auction at anytime so we monitor the bidding closely and keep records of Yahoo ID’s.

Receipt Of Goods

When your item arrives to our office we will inspect it to ensure that it is as described and that no pieces are missing. If there are any issues we will manage in this in Japan before the item is sent to you.

Packing

Our staff of packers have been trained in the handling of art objects and will re-pack all items robustly so that they are suitable for international transit.

Payments

VISA, Paypal, BACS, Western Union

Deposit

New buyers will need to provide a 50% deposit on items over 40,000yen. If the auction is won we will include this within the sellers fee. If the auction is lost you can either keep the deposit on account or request a full refund.

Fees

You will receive two payment requests. The first request covers:

1. The cost of the won auction listed by the seller

2. Our commission fee. This is added to the total of the win. We ask for 10% on items under 40,000 yen and only 8% for all items over that amount. Nihonto and kodogu are fixed rate at 7%

3. Bank and transfer fees. Because we are not actually selling the item Kyobai only makes its money from the commission fee, therefore we have zero margin to be able to subsidise any fees. We charge a transfer fee of 300 yen which we are charged by our bank when we pay the seller, and a additional 600 which will cover our bank charges.

When we are in receipt of your item there will be a second payment request. This covers:

1. Domestic shipping, when the seller send the item to our office in Kyoto.

2. Additional packaging should it be required for international shipping

3. International Shipping from Japan to you

Funds transfer fee. As described above we need to receive the correct amount to cover our commission and additional expenses. If you are paying via PayPal please add 4.7% to the total to cover PayPal charges. You can save money with PayPal by sending money as family and friends.

This option is cheaper, but be aware that PayPal will not extend their buyers protection to you, so this comes down to trust. We will not run off with your money, and you can ask anyone in the collecting community about my level of trustworthiness. If you want to transfer funds directly into our bank account you can, again as long as you pay all the transfer fees.

If blades need to be exported there is a fixed fee of 6,000yen which is charged for the administration of the paperwork by our agent.

Items over the value of 200,000 yen require permission to export from the Ministry Of Culture, they charge 6,000 yen

• Like 2

Thank you as always, Gentlemen.

Yes, I've occasionally been contacted by people who had bought blades through Jaunce or other automated services by disabling the blocking.

Then they were told to find someone in Japan to export it for them or the blade would be thrown away! 

Going forward, I can imagine that the automated services may start offering to export blades for a fee. 

But then they don't know how to handle blades, nor about the impediments which may exist on your side -

which may change without notice due to changes in airline terror policies, or the nation's laws.

My blade exporter here in Japan tries to stay on top of these changes and to date we have never yet failed to export a blade.

We failed only once - in exporting a gun to the US.  We got the export permit successfully from the Ministry of Culture... but then Japan Customs told us that it was illegal to export a working gun.  To the US!!  You can't export a gun to the US?!!  Hahahaha!!!!

Hope I can be of service.  kschmidt1127@gmail.com

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Kelly Schmidt

Japan Antique Auctions

It has always been my understanding that Japan Ministry of Culture export permission is required for all antique items over 200,000 yen, and ALL nihonto (regardless of value) over 15cm of length (ie. all those which have a police tourokusho which must be cancelled due to the blade being exported.)  I have sometimes even had trouble getting kozuka and small yari spears out through Japan Customs, even though they were under 15cm and had no tourokusho...  Essentially, the purpose of the export permit is to tell the police that the blade has left the country and therefore can be deregistered, and also to tell the Japan Customs staff - who have no experience nor authority in judging - that the blade can go out and is not a national treasure.  Japan Customs people call me regularly, anytime something looks iffy, and let me tell you, these people are not risk takers.  They follow the rules to a T.

One more point.  The Japan Ministry of Culture does NOT charge 6000 yen for export permission.  They have no fees.  

Kelly Schmidt

Japan Antique Auctions

Hi Kelly,

Guy De La Rupelle handles all nihonto clearances for Kyobai, his charges are admin based, and they are extremely fair. I'm not sure if you are aware but Guy is the proprietor of Arte Japonica an authorised antique dealer in Japan, a very sucessful person, established and with an excellent reputation. There's no need for either of us to pitch here, Ben has been presented with a number of options.

Also Ben, if you contact JAUCE they will lift the ban on blades for you, as long as you inform them that you are aware of the paperwork charges, around $200. My inly word of caution is that they use a third party to store and pack the items, they are not trained or understand how to handle art items, I can send you photos where they dropped the ball and damaged my items.

Have fun, happy bidding fella!

I recently requested that jauce unblock a sword auction for me so that I could bid.

Here is the email I received from them.

Due to "Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties" (1950), this kind of items usually need special handling and documentation before they are shipped internationally. So that an additional handling fee of 20,000¥ maybe required to process this auction.

Please kindly send us a confirmation in order we can unblock this auction.

Best regards,
Jauce Team

I recently requested that jauce unblock a sword auction for me so that I could bid.

Here is the email I received from them.

Due to "Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties" (1950), this kind of items usually need special handling and documentation before they are shipped internationally. So that an additional handling fee of 20,000¥ maybe required to process this auction.

Please kindly send us a confirmation in order we can unblock this auction.

Best regards,Jauce Team

*edit by admin - contact Dave as below for a decent cheaper quote, this isn't the place for adverts*

Drop me a PM anytime you see something special

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..