Best Ways To Ship A Sword

No, ive received swords with tip sticking out the end.

use a postal tube, having sword in shirasaya or koshirae making sure it does have a peg, so no movement in fittings, i like to use pieces of foam on each end, wrap in plastic wrap, then in bubble wrap. each end of box with good layer of newspaper or cardboard, packing on all sides, remember no movement is what your striving for.

usps is best bet

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

If you can't find a postal tube, the post office also has triangular shipping boxes that are the right size for anything except the longest tachi, & they're free. Which shipping company depends on where you're sending the sword. As Stephen says, in the U.S., the postal service is probably your best bet. I tend to use EMS for most other countries.

Ken

Thanks Ken, i should have clarified, when i said tube i was referring to this

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=shipping-supplies%3afree-shipping-supplies&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&categoryId=free-shipping-supplies&productId=P_O_1098S

international on one side usa on other, be sure to read how many in one order. Made the mistake of marking five....you should have seen what the postal lady was pulling out of van....she was nice and took them all back except for one.

If shipping only a blade:

-wrap it tightly in paper

-secure it to a wooden board though the handle hole with a wood screw

-tape the other end and middle to the board to prevent lateral movement

-wrap and ship

Previously discussed, search out old threads. 

USPS, either Registered/insured, or Express overnight. If using Express, ask for guaranteed delivery time as sometimes overnights end up taking longer. If they can't guarantee overnight, then reconsider. 

In addition to previously mentioned packaging tips, the triangular USPS boxes can be cut and joined together. Also, carpet tubes which the carpet stores are often happy to give away work well cut to length.  I've even used the triangular boxes inside a carpet tube on occasion for double wall protection.

Ted Tenold does the best packing job that I have seen. I was embarrassed by the job that I did when compared to the one he did. His box was larger than the sword and koshirae. The box was filled with solid dense foam. Cutouts were made to fit the blade and koshirae. The blade was wrapped in Saran wrap or similar material and then placed in the shirasaya and that was placed in a bag. The koshirae had bubble wrap then a bag. Both sword and koshirae fit into separate cutout sections.  the box. The box was heavy duty cardboard. The box was taped shut. I might have missed something. Impressive!

In contrast to that, I received a yari from a member here where the tang was sticking out of the package - a mailing tube. I think that bare blades should be wrapped in saran wrap then taped to a piece of wood longer than the blade. This prevents the blade from going through the box/tube/triangle.

I have received books where the box split and half the books were lost. Although the books were insured, the insurance denied the claim because not all the books disappeared.

Grey Doffin has posted a warning to never ship tsuba in the box that they are shown in. He has a photo of the triangular piece where the tsuba rests has come off and the nail that holds the tsuba in place has scratched the tsuba. 

Do not skimp on packaging. The person receiving the package will appreciate the efforts made to ensure a successful delivery. When you receive a well-packed item let the shipper know. 

Regards,

Barry Hennick

• Like 9

Shipping within the US, best choice hands down, USPS registered mail.  Every postal person who handles the package has to sign for it; it can't get lost.  And never break the sword down to ship; best to leave the blade inside the koshirae.

Grey

Shipping within the US, best choice hands down, USPS registered mail.  Every postal person who handles the package has to sign for it; it can't get lost.  

Grey

Additionally, you'll need paper brown tape for Registered packages, all the seams are stamped to prevent tampering, and when not in transit packages are kept locked up, and of course have to be signed for on delivery.

Least expensive cost for insurance, tracking number, does take longer for delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe i'm just new here... but this is a pretty serious hobby, taken pretty serious by a not so small number of people, not to mention the heart and soul of a pretty serious country (Japan) known for taking things well... pretty damn serious... to say nothing of the ludicrous amounts of money that can be involved. Why has no one invented a sword case? A katana-specific hard case... like a gun-case/guitar road case, etc. Wouldn't be that big, or terribly expensive. If they make them already i've not seen one and no one talks about them. Am i missing something?

I mentioned to a perspective sword seller that he maybe try a gun case, but he made a great point in that when crossing borders, people see a gun case and obviously think there is a gun in there, want to open it, and might end up touching the blade. 

But why not a hard katana case?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..