Nengo Handwriting Assistance Request

Okiiimo

I'm have some wartime photographs of my grandfather who served in the IJA and I'm working on deciphering the handwritten notes on the backs. Attached are two nengo that I could use assistance with. The first one is fairly straight forward. I can't read the kanji number as it so different from text book examples (circled in green). I think it might be "shi" but I'm uncertain. The second nengo I think is written in imperial year ( 2600?), again I'm uncertain on this one.

Thank you! This information will greatly assist me in putting the photos in chronological order. My goal is to have these put into electronic albums that I hope the kids will someday value as a part of their heritage.

post-3517-0-57085100-1493325098_thumb.jpg

post-3517-0-60777500-1493325109_thumb.jpg

Thank you Raymond!

The handwriting is throwing me off. Since I'm very early in learning kanji, I just don't have enough experience to recognize the handwriting from printed examples - too much variance for me. In the first photo, I thought it might be a four, but the separate vertical stroke doesn't seem to fit. For the other, it looks like it should represent 2600, but the clue I have is the 0 0. The hand writing doesn't look like 26 in either kanji or alphanumeric form.

The photographs I have are from the late 30's to maybe mid 40's. So the more certain and exact I can be on the years is important to putting them in correct order.

Thanks again!

Thanks Joe!

I should add, I believe Raymond is correct and it makes sense in the context of the photos. I having trouble with recognition of the handwriting. I wouldn't call it sloppy, it's just so different from text kanji that I'm trying to figure out an approach to reading it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..