Tachi For Auction In Dublin

I wish there was better images of the blade.

My gut instinct is that the blade is gendai - if opinion is that this is the Mino Kanekado of four hundred years ago it should be an interesting auction.

As an aside I am currently in huge remorse for not buying the Kanekado tanto on Aoi. recently (huge menuki great lotus tsuba) - if any of you picked it up = fine taste  :thumbsup:

I don't have my Fujishiros handy so I can't compare the signature but I do have my translations so I can say that Fujishiro lists two signatures for that Mino Kanekado:

KANEKADO and

NOSHU SEKI JU NO KANEKADO SAKU

So this blade probably isn't from him. However there is a later Kanekado (late 17th century) that signs as described in the auction, apparently: https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1092

In summary: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

​29.46% buyer's ​premium plus if bidding via Invaluable, that's a further 5%. Oh and an extra 2% on top if paying with your credit card. That's not even factoring in the P&P charge which no doubt will be extortionate too. I once got charged £95 to ship a sword from Dover to North London!

And the best you can hope for from these auction houses are a few lousy photos to go on.

I know they're running a business and have make a profit but all these fees are getting out of hand nowadays and you have to really careful in deciding how much to bid, especially if doing it online and not in person.

There, rant over! lol
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..