Hamon

East London 1+

John, the first thing to do is to determine whether the "knob" is nie or nioi...so can you see the nie crystals (larger) or nothing but a mist (nioi)? The knob itself is called tobiyaki, & generally consists of nie crystals, which is what I see in your photos.

Ken

• Like 1

A friend named Barry brought the actual definition of "yo" to my attention......it is a spot INSIDE of the hamon, not above as i stated.....I think I was trying for "yubashiri" which is a spot in the ji outside of the hamon. I should never answer posts before my coffee quota is fulfilled :)

An alternate term that others might be thinking of is Tama (jewel) I mostly see that term used for Shinto blades, Osaka schools in particular. The hamon is said to be more contrived or "painted on" Not a fake hamon using hadori or other artificial techniques, just less organic. Sukehiro on Tamba Yoshimichi smiths come to mind, with tama apearing somewhere in toranba and sudare sometimes. I'm not sure if the term really fits for your sword though as those seem to be 100 percent intentional a circle ridindg a wave whereas your hamon looks more like an unintentional natural occuring part of the heat treatment.

Hope this is of some use,

Lance

I think yo

Fushi-ba are defined by Markus as, "Pointed knot-like breaks in a straight hamon," & are usually found in Mino blades, which yours may be (I see togari), but you have a tobiyaki, rather than fushi-ba. You need to hit the books to learn all of these definitions, John, & it's good to start with your own blade. It's a good study piece. Nagayama's Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords is a must-buy for you, & it just became available again at a very reasonable price - do a search on NMB, & you'll find the links.

Ken

Thank you Ken and Lance

I definitely think the the blade i have is Mino den and possibly Kanesada school.

I have Nagayamas connoisseurs and have learned a lot from it also other reference books.

i just have to try to learn all the variations of the Hamon styles and there suttleties  it takes time.

This Forum is an excellent source of learning because experienced collectors give there time to help novices like me.

it is much appreciated.

John C.

Off the top of my head (baaad, I know), where tobiyaki connects with the hamon it is called something else.  Just a note to hopefully trigger the name in someone's better memory.

BaZZa.

Kawazu-no-ko probably is what you're looking for. Tadpole. Round head and a tail. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..