Restoring A Tsuba

Kanenaga

Hello All,

Hoping not to re-open the preservation-vs-restoration debate, but I thought the group might be interested to see another example of what can be accomplished when an expert metalsmith (FH) "touches-up" a soft-metal tsuba.  The tsuba is signed on the backside [ichinomiya] Tsunenao with kao.

Les

post-2490-0-65924000-1493149848_thumb.jpeg

post-2490-0-89284800-1493149882_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

As you can imagine, I was very pleased with this outcome. Pre-restoration, I could not even recognize that the pup was silver, and the big fellow at the bottom shibuichi.

I've read that rats were considered auspicious, because their presence indicates that you must have food in your storehouse.

Les

• Like 2

Rats are one of the animals of the Chinese zodiac. However, the tsuba has a few of them frolicking about. I think for this tsuba they are generally an Edo period thing and back then auspiciously associated with abundance. The tsuba theme in my opinion is suggestive of Daikoku (the brother of Ebisu) and his rats are associated with his rice bales he stands on, hence the implication of prosperity, wealth and security.

post-14-0-21337600-1493294163_thumb.jpg

I can also second Fords skill of restoring tsuba. He has done some magic on a few of my hopeless cases which I tend to gather.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..