Japanese Legacy Symposium

dear all,

I am glad to announce the third Japanese Legacy Symposium at Leiden (close to Amsterdam), the Netherlands.

The focus will be Japanese armor, i.e.  menpo.

this time under the wings of the Japanese Armor Society (Nihon Katchu Bugy Kenkyu Hozon Kai, 般社団法人 日本甲冑武具研究保存会)

when: february 16 - 18    2018.
place to be : Sieboldhuis www.sieboldhuis.org/

more news will follow.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Please do not confuse this symposium with Dave Thatchers 'Gathering of Samurai'

May I just clarify something.

I am a member of the Japanese Armour Society, and a member of The Samurai Armour Forum.

The Samurai Armour Forum hold a symposium called The Gathering, it is not my symposium.

I'm Looking forward very much to attending both of these.

• 1 month later...

We are pleased to formally announce details for the 3rd Japanese Legacy Symposium taking place in Leiden, Netherlands February 17-18, 2018. The event promises to be a unique opportunity to view exceptional pieces of armour, socialize with collectors, dealers and experts, and learn more during our series of lectures and special events.

Schedule of Events:

Saturday, February 17, 2018

• Japanese Legacy III Symposium Lectures at the Rijksmuseum van Oudeheden in Leiden
  • Private performance by Noh Master, Matsato Matsura
  • Private visit of the exhibition “Masked Warriors” at the Sieboldhuis Museum in Leiden, with curator Bas Verberk present to provide commentary and information
  • Option for group dinner at the Het Prentenkabinet restaurant in Leiden
  • Option for overnight hotel in Amsterdam

Sunday, February 18, 2018

• Japanese Legacy III Arms & Armor Fair with top dealers and restorers at the NH Caransa Hotel in Amsterdam

The following details the available packages for the Japanese Legacy III Symposium:

Package 1 – Euro 125.00 per person

• Entry fee to Sieboldhuis Museum to view “Masked Warriors” exhibition
  • Japanese Legacy III Symposium presentations at Rijksmuseum van Oudeheden
  • Private Noh performance by Matsato Matsura
  • Copy of “Masked Warriors” exhibition catalogue

Package 2 – Euro 570.00 per person

• Entry fee to Sieboldhuis Museum to view “Masked Warriors” exhibition
  • Japanese Legacy III Symposium presentations at Rijksmuseum van Oudeheden
  • Private Noh performance by Matsato Matsura
  • Copy of “Masked Warriors” exhibition catalogue
  • 2 nights accommodation (single occupancy) at the NH Caransa Hotel in Amsterdam
  • Estimate for roundtrip train fare between Amsterdam and Leiden
  • Group dinner at the Het Prentenkabinet restaurant in Leiden

For further information or to confirm your attendance, please send an email to jas@Japanese-armor.org

Hi Jo

Who are the speakers and what subjects are being covered , I assume the talks are quite short due to it only being a morning?

Will Bas be covering noh masks again as covered in legacy 2 ?

Hi,

At this point, we're still finalizing speakers and topics. However, we expect to have 3-5 presentations, including the Noh performance. We actually have the meeting room available until late afternoon and the visit to the "Masked Warriors" exhibition will likely take place afterward at around 5PM +/-.

John

As promised, this thread will be updated with programme elements as they become available.

Symposium Lectures:

The Evolution of Menpo and the Link with Noh Theatre - Bas Verberk, curator of "Masked Warriors" exhibition

The Exchange of Royal Gifts Between East and West During the Bakumatsu Period - Willem van Gulik, Professor and Affiliated Fellow of Leiden University

Japanese Armor and Helmets: Technical Considerations and Analysis - Various Presenters to be confirmed

Further topic(s) still to be determined

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..