Just Want To Share My Kai Gunto (Navy Officer Sword)

AnAmNeSiS

Hello all.  I will be posting the capture tag on this sword in the translation section of the board soon.  But I wanted to share my sword I purchased at a estate sale which got me into learning everything I can about Japanese swords and the makers behind them.   :glee:  

I do have one question for everyone . . . Is it possible that this sword is older than WWII era because I cannot find any detail on the smiths sir name for this sword?  OR . . . Is it more likely this smith is just lost because many swords that were from this era were destroyed?  I do have to admit that I have not really looked up "Kawamura" (smith maker) history through the years if there is any.  

Sincerely,

Davepost-4055-0-05725900-1492977805_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-64591800-1492977822_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-17262600-1492977836_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-80450500-1492977855_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-99298700-1492977893_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-69466300-1492977906_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-41993300-1492977918_thumb.jpg

Stephen, 

Besides your sarcasm . . .Did I miss something here?  Did I not follow the proper way of posting the pics?  Translating = Tang and capture tag?  Military swords = Kai Gunto?  Or are you just being salty?

Help us new members understand the proper way if I did not do it right!

Sincerely,

Dave

His name is Tadatsuna. Kawamura Tadatsuna, but the latter is his name. I'm pretty sure this is a wartime sword..not older.
It helps if you post all the pics in one thread, so that people don't have to go hunting through other threads to be able to answer a question. In this case, people can't answer your question without checking if your posted translation is correct, and that means searching for other threads. That's all that Stephen was pointing out.
Yes, wartime smith, probably Showato and there are still quite a few undocumented smiths from the war.

• Like 1

Even though it is wartime it's still of interest. Alot of Kai Gunto are regarded as Showato due to them being made with various stainless steel elements for increased resistance against corrosion.

I didn't see any arsenal stamps on the tang so you may have gotten lucky with a Gendaito, but I wouldn't keep all my fingers and toes crossed. 

Dave,

Great find!  Both the blade and the fittings are gorgeous.  I couldn't find any references to this swordsmith either, but like stated above, there were hundreds of smiths working during the war. 

I would also like to see a close-up of that gold label sticker.  I've seen a forum discussion of scabbards with stickers like this and they were all from the Seki area.

Hey all,

Stephen - I need to aplogize to you.  Looks like I was the one being salty and I read your post wrong  :doh:

Brian - (This is going to be a stupid question) The name Kawamura Tadatsuna . . . Is the Tadatsuna here his sir name or just a name used to sign his swords?  I noticed when looking up other sword smiths, some would use a sword name to sign their swords and not their sir name. Just wondering if their was a normal practice here.  Also I had no idea that so many smiths are still unidentified.  

John - I did not know the difference between a Showato or a Gundaito sword until a few weeks ago.  I hope this would be a Gundaito but I have to admit that I am more into answering the mysteries this sword is presenting me.  I appreciate your post.  

Paul - Thanks for that.  This is my first sword I ever owned.   :glee:

Malcolm and Bruce - WOW, this sticker will show where it was purchased??  Or at lease where the Koshirae was purchased?  I am amazed that his sticker has stayed on all this time.  I will post close up pics of this.  After looking into all the material given for me to check out . . . It looks like Seki area.

It is nice to meet all of you and I appreciate everyone's help and feedback.  It means a great deal to me.  Thanks

Dave

post-4055-0-12534700-1493086898_thumb.jpgpost-4055-0-98406300-1493086930_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dave, nice meeting you too!  I really enjoy these gunto and our conversations about them.  Shame we all live around the globe, making a real meeting impossible.  On the other hand, the web is allowing a bunch of guys like us to meet from all around the globe!

Yup - Seki emblem at the top.  Interesting that the rest of the sticker is in Japanese.  I think the ones on the earlier thread were in English???  I'll check.  It only means that is where the fittings were made.  The gunto could have been bought at an officers' club somewhere else, though.

• Like 1

Bruce  -  You are right.  To bad we cannot all get together a talk swords in person.  Would be fun.  But at least we got the internet.   ;-)   I was wondering if there is a way to compare these stickers to get a date on when they were used?  Also, have you seen this sticker on a Kai Gunto before?  Just curious? Thanks for you time.  

Neil  -  Great Find man!  Until this post I had no clue what this sticker was about.  Amazing what one can learn on this board.  

Dave

• Like 1

Morning Dave, 

Check out the circular logo for Seki Hyaku Tan Sha Token Sei Saku Jo on the link I posted, it looks like you have a kind of circular logo at the top of your label.

Can't make out from your pictures if it has the kanji in the center of the circle.

If it's like an H on its side, it might be a later War all Japanese Kanji version of this:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/6016-paper-label/

Which Puts it to Seki Cutlery Manufacturers' Association Gifu Ken as Bruce said earlier

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..