14 replies to this topic

#1 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hello all, looking for Generals Grade shin gunto, ideally with Tassel. Background and provenance even better.

Best regards

John

John

#2 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

Hi John.

sad that yoy havnt had a reply yet.

due to the price's on the tassel alone  maybe put a rough price range to let people know your serious

Hamfish

#3 paul griff

paul griff

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationMaesteg Wales G.B.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hello John,
Good luck with your quest and I hope something suitable comes your way soon...Hoping to buy a similar item myself but probably next year ( my pot is pretty empty at the moment ! )...
Regards,
Paul.
  • PNSSHOGUN likes this

#4 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,973 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

I remember back when gen tassels would bring a premium of 3-4 hundred low grade would be 50/75$

my how times have changed and prices are hovering around ten times that. 

Just to give you a idea of what your asking for. 

• PNSSHOGUN likes this

Stephen C.

USMC      DEC 63      APR 73

#5 Mark

Mark

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

i remember some years ago (you can guess how long), i passed up a mint mantetsu with a generals tassel that was priced $1000. Instead i bought a shinto katana from the same seller for a bit more that that.......... strange how things work out, that Shinto katana is probably not worth much more than i paid and the Mantetsu/tassel is probably worth 6-8000 maybe more....  

• PNSSHOGUN likes this
Mark Jones
nixe@bright.net

#6 BenVK

BenVK

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Apart from the tassel, which let's face it, could have been added by anyone at anytime, what identifies a General's grade shin gunto?

I know it's different for kyu gunto because of the addition of tortoise shell grip.

Ben

#7 paul griff

paul griff

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hello,
Provenance and documentation ! I like to collect gunto' that have preferably both or failing that either , otherwise,
you are right Ben....It's the price of the gunto plus the knot !
Regards,
Paul..

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi John

See you're in Austraila. Maybe Doug Austin can help you?

http://www.guntoartswords.com

Good luck
Best Regards
Daniel
  • PNSSHOGUN likes this

#9 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the replies all, I have had a few private offers and am in contact with Doug.

I am also red with anger at some of these lovely little anecdotes you all seem to have about Generals Grade swords for pennies on the dollar!

Apart from the tassel, which let's face it, could have been added by anyone at anytime, what identifies a General's grade shin gunto?

I know it's different for kyu gunto because of the addition of tortoise shell grip.

Generals Grade often have the highest quality fittings and finish, hard to tell sometimes but the differences are there. Family Kamon, gold plating, high grade samegawa and ito. Not uncommon to find them with Mantetsu blades either.

• BenVK and paul griff like this

John

#10 paul griff

paul griff

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hello,
Yes you are right there John....The Bonhams 'Conflict of the 20th century' sale on 21st oct 2015 had a couple of jems ! Lot 75 was a stunning type 94 with gilted fittings and also lot 14 the sword of Major General Kenji Matsumoto,a type 98 with full provenance...Sadly wasn't in a position to buy at the time ! Both swords and indeed many others in that sale are fine items for any collection...One day hopefully...!
Regards,
Paul..
  • PNSSHOGUN likes this

#11 BenVK

BenVK

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

To see some General Grade swords with rock solid provenance would make for a fascinating forum thread.

Unless one already exists?

Ben

#12 Shamsy

Shamsy

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

Generals Grade often have the highest quality fittings and finish, hard to tell sometimes but the differences are there. Family Kamon, gold plating, high grade samegawa and ito. Not uncommon to find them with Mantetsu blades either.

Very much more likely to have a Shrine sword, Yasukuni is what I'm referring to, or an ancestral blade. Fittings would be custom made and high quality. In fact I'm actually quite surprised to hear that there was a Mantetsu found with the tassle. Those were pure combat swords forged using modern technology. To me that feels like a a respectable gentleman turning up to golf in a pimped low rider instead of a Bentley.
Steve
Always interested in seeing and buying Type 95 NCO swords

#13 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Very much more likely to have a Shrine sword, Yasukuni is what I'm referring to, or an ancestral blade. Fittings would be custom made and high quality. In fact I'm actually quite surprised to hear that there was a Mantetsu found with the tassle. Those were pure combat swords forged using modern technology. To me that feels like a a respectable gentleman turning up to golf in a pimped low rider instead of a Bentley.

True, however Mantetsus were prized by high ranking officers for their resilience and cutting ability. Of the past listings of Generals swords I have found, a good chunk of them had Mantetsu blades.

Some nice patriotic zeal to be had from those blades as well.

John

#14 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

A General tassel does not make a General sword, Neil.
  • Shamsy and PNSSHOGUN like this
Neil

#15 SwordGuyJoe

SwordGuyJoe

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

A General tassel does not make a General sword, Neil.

What he said.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gunto, wanted, katana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq