Selling Shinsakuto To Fund A Training Trip To Japan

Richard Arias

I have a Shinsakuto made 1990 Signed Goshu Taiten. From my research Taiten's family name is Nakagawa. So he is known as Nakagawa Taiten and forged out of the Shiga Prefecture and his registration number is 15104. He later opened a school in Okayama Prefecture to teach smiths. I have been told he is in his 80's and stopped forging in 2006.

The blade is in a fresh Sharpening Polish from Nihonzashi sword shop. It is high grit, smooth as glass, symmetrical and Sharp. But Nihonzashi does not use finger stones so the hamon is visible, but the Tight masame hada is pretty clouded. It looks like sand specs visible only at the right angles. But details are there. The blade has a solid silver Habaki.

Specks: 27in Nagasa 31mm Motohaba, 8mm Motokasane. 25mm Sakihaba, 6mm Sakikasane 15mm Sori. 8.4in Nakago 9.5in Tsuka. Blade has Niku. Weight is just over 2.5lbs

Mounts: Tsuka is a Nice shaped Japanese core with a full wrap of Same'. The mekugi are brand new as is the tsuba fitting. Everything is tight and solid. The wrap is brand new Lohman Navy Suede.

The Theme is a Simple Bamboo theme. The tsuba is Japanese with a metal base that was copper plated and aged. The fuchi Kashira are copper with Silver Bamboo leaves on them. The menuki are solid silver with copper accents. User quality fittings.

The Saya: my biggest disappointment the original Saya was damaged beyond repair in shipping so I had to have an Iaito Saya fitted. It fits well and only rattles if I shake hard. It is perfectly workable for an Iai Batto sword. I have a brand new gold Japanese Sageo for it.

I need 3k for my trip, so 3k I cover paypal and shipping. Let me know about reasonable offers.

post-4059-0-22781000-1492544496_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-39658600-1492544509_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-01209500-1492544536_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-23601000-1492544545_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-73943100-1492544562_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-41525500-1492544572_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-82160100-1492544581_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-97780700-1492544592_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-15320000-1492544605_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-43663400-1492544753_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-26380100-1492544816_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-09149800-1492544860_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-59366800-1492544902_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-69673600-1492545054_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-38279400-1492545080_thumb.jpg

post-4059-0-56524800-1492545183_thumb.jpg

If someone wants just the Blade and Habaki I can ship it in the old split Saya. I just thought it would be a waste of the new Ito, Wrap, Mekugi, and a nice Tsuka core with a full Same' wrap. I would take a fair offer on the blade if someone wanted to go from scratch.

But the mounts as they are now are good user mounts. The sword draws and returns from the Saya well and the Koiguchi fit is nice and firm. The Tsuka is well shaped and solid, yet with the Suede has a soft non slip feel. Nothing's wiggling or rattling.

The Tachi Kaze the blade has is surprisingly good. I have seen few no hi blades with good sound like this. The blade has heft and feels solid, but not so heavy that you can't use it. Those of you who own light blades might be sore after a class, but it's a blade made for cutting and Batto rather than Iai. It is fast (relatively) compared to other swords of the Nambokucho variety. The sword is slower than an Iai blade, but smooth. And smooth can become fast.

And Niku aside this blade passes a paper cutting test Easy. The sword only lacks cosmetic visibility, because there are some goodies hiding in the Tameshigiri Polish.

I love the blade. I don't want to sell it. But being invited to Japan is a big deal and I want to try all I can to go.

Richard, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. We want to SEE the details of the bare blade, more than the koshirae. No one would expect you to split them up!

Ken

No I understood you. But it gave me the thought that maybe the mounts are not to some buyers taste. I like them being a Iai Batto Swordsman, but I like Simple and functional. I love the Nihonzashi sharpening Polish because I can cut with it and not feel guilty about scratches.

But I am a Cashier and part time teacher. I don't have deep pockets can't afford an art Polish. So maybe someone here wants a more elegant Polish and mounts. They can make an offer. I would prefer to sell to a Swordsman or Woman who would appreciate the sword and the fact that it cost me over a year of savings and about 400 hours of pay at my crummy job.

I don't need to sell I am not broke. But if I made it to Japan I would be the first one from my Dojo to go in almost 10 years. Before I say it's not possible I want to give my all and sacrifice my obsession with this sword for the good of the Art and the Dojo.

This sword cost me more than money. And I am not selling it for money, but for knowledge, experience and adventure :)

• Like 3

Also you won't get me to remove the Tsuka because the friction fit on the Mekugi is super firm. I request that for safety. I won't ruin the nice new mekugi just to get a shot of the machi. It's straight and the Habaki fits very well. The Patina on the Habaki is kinda growing on me :)

Nothing wrong with that! My wife & I have trained in Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu for for more than 25 years, although we use iaito in that dojo. We've also trained in Shinto-Ryu for a decade, in which we use Nihonto, with our dojo on the side of a mountain. We're lucky to have family all over Japan, & so visit, & train, there regularly. I'm not sure how many NMB members will want to use a shinsakuto for batto training, preferring to let it age quietly, & tameshigiri does leave scratches that are easily noticeable.

Ken

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that! My wife & I have trained in Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu for for more than 25 years, although we use iaito in that dojo. We've also trained in Shinto-Ryu for a decade, in which we use Nihonto, with our dojo on the side of a mountain. We're lucky to have family all over Japan, & so visit, & train, there regularly. I'm not sure how many NMB members will want to use a shinsakuto for batto training, preferring to let it age quietly, & tameshigiri does leave scratches that are easily noticeable.

Ken

Well the blade holds up the similar to the Swedish powder steel the Hataya Kotetsu are made from. I asked the Nihonzashi polisher how the Shinsakuto compared for work difficulty and he said the Hataya Kotetsu felt similar on the stone. Not chewing up the stones, but not getting eaten by them. Not to hard to get scratches out of.

The price is fair enough that a member wanted a full Polish they could get one. Or if they want to compete with it right now it's ready to go.

Since this is my only sword if someone has a Citadel or Coreasword they want to throw in I could be persuaded to a trade and cash.

Hello Richard and welcome. I wish you all the best with your sale and trip to Japan. I can really appreciate the hard work and patience you put into your sword. Cheers.

Greg

Thanks. It has not been easy. It would have gotten a full Polish but the polisher bailed on me last minute.

Can I ask that people be respectful. I have had 3 people try to offer me 1/4 the Swords value. I don't need to sell this blade I am happy to keep it. I feel it's very disrespectful to assume that when I say I am willing to work with a JSA student that people have assumed I won't be a little offended at being offered the price of a Cheap Hanwei blade.

I am being reasonable. There are trade options and PayPal financing. If there is a REASONABLE offer I am willing to talk it over.

-Richard

• Like 5

Tozando In Japan has informed me Nakagawa Taiten Lives! He is a Monk in Shiga Prefecture Temple. They have contact with him and a few students of of his. They are helping me find out if Taiten Remembers my sword. It unlikely he would remember 1 sword he made 27 years ago. But I would love to know more about who it was made for. And if it was forged in Kobuse or Some form of San Mai.

I know people love antiques. But I like the possibility of picking a master Smiths brain on a less commonly seen sword.

I'm trying not to swim in possibility... But I can't help but wonder ;)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..