Possible Uchigatana

East London 1+

Hi All

I recently purchased a blade that is possibly a Uchigatana.

The seller thought it may be a Mino tradition blade and i think i agree with him.

Possibly a Sukesada school smith from the Muromachi era.

Now i am still learning and studying and read a lot of books so bare with me if i am totally off course.

I know  there is nothing like handling the real thing and talking to knowledgeable people to gain experience. 

What is throwing my off slightly is the Yakidashi at the start of the Hamon.

i apologize for the not very good pictures but i was just using my phone at the time.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

As i purchase more blades and study more hopefully i will get better at Kantie.

The Blade

Sori: Torii zori  22mm

Nagasa : 546mm

Nakago: 130mm Suriage

Nakagojiri : Ha agari

Mekugi ana : 1 and 1/2

Motokasane : 7mm

Sakikasane : 4mm

Motohaba : 30mm

Sakihaba : 20mm

Kissaki : 32mm

Fukura : Rounded

Mune : iori 

Boshi : Ko Maru on one side Nie Kuzure on the other side.

Hada: Mokume

Hamon : Gunome Midare , Yakidashi at he start of the hamon, there is Masame in the Hamon

John C

post-2439-0-54887000-1492381570_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-25976800-1492381602_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-35490300-1492381626_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-95377000-1492381739_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-72128600-1492381810_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-26011300-1492381839_thumb.jpg

post-2439-0-44636400-1492381859_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi John

Some things to look at that might bring you closer to a conclusion.

The fact  there is masame in the shinogi-ji and yakidashi point towards it being shinto rather than earlier

You mention the possibilty of it being mino and then possibly Sukesada. Sukesada is a Bizen smith (group of smiths) but the fact that this has traits that present both possibilities to you again suggest it is later rather than early. After about 1400 as everyone was trying to copy Soshu work the various traditions tended to blend and overlap so telling the difference between Sue-Seki, Soden Bizen and  Sue tegai for example becomes increasingly difficult.

I think the hamon and epecially the boshi have some very disitnctive features which could help you narrow down the period and tradition more closely if not the smith. Also look closely at the Yakidashi, the shape and length can also help you narrow down your search. Osaka and edo yakidashi are very different and very distinctive.

Interested to see where your further research takes you

good luck

Paul

Thats a very good point although it depends whether it is really O-suriage or suriage. The hole in the bottom may be the original so it is possible it has not lost as much as may first appear. Also while it is difficult to be sure from the images look at the way the hamon dips towards the machi.

Thank you gentlemen for your knowledgeable comments.

I thought the blade may be Shinto because of the Yakidashi but swords were longer in this period.

It is the Uchigatana traits 5 inch nakago and short nagasa that made me think it was Muromachi.

I am swaying towards Mino tradition possibly Kanemoto or Kanesada schools.

Oh well i will just keep on researching.

On a side note, i would just like to thank the knowledgeable and experienced members of the forum, who take the time to help along and advice the newbies and inexperienced members in their quest for answers to their questions and knowledge.  

John C

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..