Nbthk Certificate For A Kozuka

Kurikata

素銅磨地 すあかみがきち  Suaka migakichi

赤銅嵌込 しゃくどうはめこみ  Shakudō hamekomi

鋤出髙彫 すきだしたかほり  Sukidashitakahori

金色絵  きんいろえ    Kin'iroe

Now... with that and a bit of google, you should be able to sort it out

• Like 4

Not so Mauro. 金印 Kinin refers to the gold seal. It is not a signature name. John

Steve, Mauro, and John,

Thank you. I didn't know how to interpret that.

Given that this is one original piece inserted in another, yet the papers start off with "mumei", I wondered how to interpret that attribution as "gold mark" / "gold seal".

It is an interesting kozuka, and I would have been unable to guess how the NBTHK would paper it.

Now - - ->    I'm left not sure what they actually intend to say or not say. Were they intentionally vague?

The paper does not say 'mumei' but 'mei' with the 'kinin' in brackets ( ) which means they recognize the kozuka as signed via the gold seal but that they don't know the name represented there.  It's definitely a different one.

D'oh!   I had it in my head that it said 'mumei' and mentally confirmed it with a quick look not expanding the picture.

You're right- it does say 'mei'.

Hello,

I am quite lost with your comments.

I understood that NBTHK papers guaranteed the mei when the item is signed and given an attribution when it is mumei.

Here there is a seal with kanji inside, they said signed with seal without detailing the name in the seal.

If they are not able to read the mei, how they can issue a certificated and guarantee the mei whereas they cannot read it ?!

gimei exist, why not false seals ?!

thanks

• Like 1

They are not guaranteeing the mei....that is not what papers do. They are certifying the work is genuine and worthy of preservation. As a side effect of that, they will certify if the signature is genuine or not, and fail the work if the signature is false, since then the entire work is not as claimed to be.
Since they are not saying what the mei is...there is nothing wrong with saying the work is worthy of preservation and genuine. The papers certify the item, not the signature in this case.
Oh..and I have a feeling that Morita san would be able to read that seal if he sees this.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..