Sword Smith Titles

Hi to all,

Many Shinto smiths adopted the custom of adding a title to their signature. Smiths put great efforts to acquire titles, since these increases the price of their blades. Is the addition of a title still seen as something that adds value to the blade, today. Do you guys pay extra?

Ed

Hi Michael, thanks for your offer. I was more wondering about the fact that a sword buyer paid more for a sword made by a sword smith and his title. The title has nothing to do with the quality of the blade. Maybe it comparable with todays phones. You pay for the hype.

A quick check on Shoshin web-site where they list titles I found that there were about 40 Koto smiths, over 800 Shinto smiths and 60+ Shinshinto smiths with titles.

If you are a Koto collector the title doesn't mean much as there are so few and most great smiths did not have one. If you are Shinto collector most of them seem to have a title and so not so significant. For many years I collected Hizen smiths and many had titles. The title had no affect on what I bought. The work was the important thing. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..